turning off AVG 9.0

majee

I have AVG 9.0 on my laptop and need to turn it off to download some purchased software. Thought I could do this by 'right-clicking' on the icon on the taskbar but this just opens it up. Can't see any obvious 'switch-off' functions on the AVG software menu. Can anyone help me out?

Start -> Control Panel - > Add/Remove Programs
AVG should be in the list of Programs and click 'Remove'

Copied from the AVG forums:
"The 'Exit' you are referring to in AVG 8.5 only terminated the icon - the program that was providing user feedback about 'what is going on', it did not terminate or suspend the antivirus protection itself. This was removed in v9 exactly for that reason - it is confusing for many users. It is generally NOT recommended to suspend or terminate AV protection while you are installing new software! That is exactly when you can get infected and AV software should always be running! By disabling it, you expose your computer to risk of infection. Having said that, you can disable the on-access scanner from the main AVG screen by clicking the "Resident Shield" component and disabling it. Again, this is not recommended"

argentina,
will this remove it permanently or will I be able to re-install theAVG 9.0 after I've done my download?

rgfuller,
the software I purchased is from Microsoft and that's what they recommended me to do to download it!

thanks for the replies
majee

what software are you trying to install?? If it is Office you can install without bothering to turn off your antivirus software.

It would seem to me to be a bit drastic to uninstall/install AVG to install another piece of software. Far better to just disable it...

Double click the Icon to bring up user interface then select file and exit.

Control + Alt + Delete to bring up the taskmanager and select processes tab and look for any avg process and right click- end process. this should do the trick. To restart, go to program list and click on avg icon

I switched from AVG to Avira - also free, not as resource-hungry and seems just as effective. No problems installing new s/w when it's running, either. After all, as others point out, that's just the time you need to be most vigilant.