Turkey

D

db2admin

Has anybody had any experience of buying property in Turkey? I know that it is in only the last year or so that it is possible for a non-resident and that you still need to get permission from the military.
Any help much appreciated
Thanks

A relative of mine was interested last year. There was a lengthy disussion about it on AAM. Basically, she tried to get some answers to simple questions from the promoter, in Turkey, by email but got fed up waiting and lost interest.

Some of the issues are;
Unfamiliarity with the law & language
Distance re rental/maintenenance
Likelihood of Turkey as a flight only destination(to facilitate renting out the property)
Political situation ( i.e. Muslim state - association of Western Christians with USA/UK aggression in Iraq)
Earthquake zone

On the other hand the property seems cheap . People seem very friendly when I have been there on hols but I think it is a function of the commercial aspect
Likelihood of Turkey joining EU seems stronger but wouldn't hold breath.

Slim 8)

If you have in mind renting out the property than be careful.Turkish tenant laws differ a lot from ours.Once you have someone in it is very hard and expensive to get him/her out again.Turkish tenants are a horror to Turkish landlords,expect the worst.But you might be lucky with your tenant as well....
The building regulations are usually not adhered to,corruption is standard.During the last earthquake buildings collapsed that should have withstand easily the force of the quake.

Thanks all for your posts, they have really helped. There is a lot to consider.

Back