Tumble Dryer

M

moomaq

Hi

I live in a shared house, where 2 people dry their clothes in the tumble dryer. Even when the sun is splitting the stones. I've tried to say that it costs way more than it does to dry on the line.

Can anyone tell me aprox how much it actually costs for 1 hours tumble drying?

Thanks

Helen

It depends on the energy rating of your tumble dryer but if you're that worried why not look at changing to a Natural Gas Tumble Dryer - can cost as little as 10c per load! Using radiators to dry washing is overly expensive. Running a whole central heating system just to dry some washing is not efficient and can cause problems of dampness and wall paper peeling. If you're at home all day and can run in and out between the rain to prevent your clothes from getting even wetter - great!

[broken link removed]

You can buy devices that plug in between the the socket and the plug for the appliance. These will tell you how much power the appliance is using and a simple calculation can then convert that into the cost per cycle.

You should be able to get these in some DIY outlets or electrical wholesalers.
Leo

I never knew that!! What are they called. My own ESB bills are horrendous and I'm currently (no pun intended) trying to get to the bottom of what's causing it!!

A typical tumble drier would cost about 40c an hour to run. Some more - some less. It is easy to just dump the washing in instead of putting them out especially if you are in a hurry. It soon adds up - a couple of hours a day could cost you around 25 euro a month. If the esb bills are high - try other things like low energy light bulbs , less water in the kettle, turn off tv etc instead of on standby.

Good Luck

By the way - Maplins sell those things that monitor usage of electrical items.

newer tumbledyrers sense when the clothes are dry and then stop, if it really is running for hours every day then it could be €400 well spent.

Back