Tumble Dryer advice

A

asweeney

my five year old tumble dryer went on fire recently, need to find a good replacement. A safe one. With all the hot weather at the moment, i'm not particularly in a hurry to get one, maybe they are cheaper to buy in summer? anyway, can anyone recommend one that does'nt eat electricity and will take a decent sized load.

Re: Tumble Dryer advise

Moved into new house recently and went for a washer/dryer combo to save room. Bought a Hotpoint "Aquarius WD420" which I can wholeheartedly recommend. It has a larger than average (front loading) drum and can take up to 5kgs in both washing and drying cycles. It has a B energy rating which seems about as good as you'll get with any dryer unit. We paid around €550 I think.

Re: Tumble Dryer advise

A downside to having a washer/dryer is that the machine can only do one thing at a time, also it dries with steam which means the clothes get wetter before they dry. Another concern is what do you do if one system stops working properly, if it's something to do with the heater for instance, are you down both appliances?

I'd pick Zanussi everytime. I've got a Zanussi washer bought in 1992, 2 replacement parts since then - both of which I was able to do myself and a Zanussi condenser drier, 11 years old and still going with no problems.

Last edited:
I have a Hotpoint Aquarius washer dryer for the past four years - two service calls both for the dryer. The Hotpoint engineer said that the washer would go for ever but the dryer wasn't very good, and recommended that for €200 (the price of two service calls surprisingly) to buy a separate cheap condenser.

Can also recommend a Zanussi condenser dryer. Have had ours for 3 years now, on every second day in the Winter and maybe once a week in the Summer, never had any problems. And electricity bill is not too extravagant considering !

We have a Hotpoint Aquarius Condenser dryer for 4 years and it's excellent. Never any trouble with it, no venting needed and drys perfectly. Would highly recommend!

When you live in an apartment it's really not an option to have separate washer dryer . . . there's just not the space in the kitchen. I'm lucky in that my apt comes with a back garden and hence a washing line but I'm still very tempted to change to washer/dryer for the depths of winter.

Any idea where to get a small tumble dryer? I had a look in a few of the usual shops and they only had the regular size.

I have a zanussi condenser dryer (1702 I think) recently the water full indicator light remains on even though i have emptied the water tray. any advice on this one? can I fix it myself? I've already cleared the filter etc.

What's the difference between a condenser dryer and a normal tumble dryer?

What's the difference between a condenser dryer and a normal tumble dryer?

Condenser doesn't have an out-pipe for the water. The water is simply 'condensed' and then collected usually via a removable plastic container which is then emptied. They're great - no plumbing and much quieter - just plug in and turn on

They're great - no plumbing and much quieter - just plug in and turn on

Condensers generally use 50% more electricity to achieve the same result though.

I have a zanussi condenser dryer (1702 I think) recently the water full indicator light remains on even though i have emptied the water tray. any advice on this one? can I fix it myself? I've already cleared the filter etc.

Perhaps the sensor is blocked or obstructed? Check when you replace the water reservoir to ensure that no lint or dust is hindering it.
Leo