Tucson, CR-V etc opnions?

turtle77

Hi,
we want to buy a motor.
We really want an SUV of sorts..
Basically my wife suffers from a lot of back pain, so we want a car that's higher off the ground so that she can lift in kids etc. we have one 14 month old, and are expecting a second in the summer.

Does anyone have opinions on the Hyundai Tucson or the honda CR-V?
What are my other options?
I'd rather not get a people carrier (like the Megane Scenic or the Galaxy).

Price bracket? 8k - 12k, preferably diesel.

Thanks.

Not sure if you would want one, but a friend with a bad back highly recommended the SsangYong Rexton as he travels big miles. Said it made a huge difference to his back. Slim

Thanks Slim,
it's an option I hadn't thought of to be honest.
I'll check them out.

As we've been considering the same for the last 6-12 months, some other options of SUV type models (but not 7-seaters or MPVs) would be as follows:

Ford Kuga (lovely inside but only about the size of a golf)
Hyundai ix35 (only out since 2010 so probably too expensive for what you're saying as budget)
Mistsubishi Outlander (though think it's a 7-seater)
Peugeot 3008
Landrover Freelander
Nissan X-Trail

HTH
S.

Hi Shakespeare,
I never considered an X-Trail; they seem good value. They must be heavy on juice though.
I'll check them out.
Do you mind me asking what your current preference is?

how about one of the crossover vehicles - like a Nissan Qashqai? Out a while so should find a good second hand one.

Thanks Murfn,
I'm not a fan of Quashqai; not sure why.

I found a good website to calculate mpg by the way; (prob discussed before).
Btw, below are some observations (very general) on mpg

land rover freelander petrol 1.8 - 27.2 mpg
freelander 2.0 diesel - 37 mpg
Honda crv - petrol - 35 mpg
honda crv - diesel - 42 mpg
xtrail - petrol - 31-33 mpg
xtrail - diesel - 39 - 45 mpg
tucson - petrol - 34mpg
tucson - diesel - 40 mpg
Rav4 - petrol - 38mpg
rav4 - diesel - 47 mpg

Hi turtle
Very torn in my choice to be honest.
Love the CRV new style - have been advised by a dealer not to go near a petrol one but the diesels are hard to find and significantly more expensive
Really like the ix35 but still a bit expensive for my budget and to be honest, I'm not convinced that I shouldn't get the Santa Fe which at least gives the option of 7 seats (love it too but hate the fake wood trim, it's hideous)
A few garages recommended the X-trail for the height that I wanted and extra space without being a 7 seater.
Rav 4 - personally think they're overpriced and pretty small really.
Can you sense I'm confused...............

Love the CRV new style - have been advised by a dealer not to go near a petrol one but the diesels are hard to find and significantly more expensive

I'd say the above facts go hand in hand....what reason did they give for above statement?

Hi username,
Absoloutely understand where you're coming from, I was just told that they'd break you fuel wise. Now of course there's an argument that you might purchase a lot of petrol for the initial price difference but I haven't done the maths, merely parroting what was said to me.
TBH, my instinct is to to be pretty cynical/sceptical about much of what's said by car dealers however, their job is to sell cars and make as much money as possible so I understand that they have their own self interest at heart mostly......

Shakespeare,
can I sense that you're confused? Ha, I could've written your post myself!
CR-v petrols are a lot more common, and diesel one only became available after 2005 I believe. Yeah, they're nice..and better than Hyundai it might seem.
RAV4s are a bit over-priced; or maybe they just hold their value more.

I'm deciding between an XTrail & CR-V now. Possibly. Maybe.
I think I have about 2 weeks to get one.

Having owned an X-trail for 3 years i found it very nice to drive, very car like. My sister has a cr-v and it rolls a lot. X-trail far superior in my opinion, we had an automatic and it was fab, but thirsty. I imported mine from england and made a huge saving, better spec too.