Tuam, mystery town . . .

zag

I am currently trying to work out how to get from Dublin to Tuam by public transport and the options seem less than clear. If anyone has any info on the options it would be great.

I tried the Bus Eireann website but they tell me there is no service from Dublin to Tuam - because there is no town called Tuam.

I did further digging and came up with table 25 of their timetable which shows that not only does Tuam exist, but there are two buses to there from Dublin every day.

The stop in Tuam is described as Tuam (Rail Station), so I checked the Iarnrod Eireann website and it looks like there may well be a rail station, but no trains go there. God, don't you love this country.

Does anyone know of any other easy ways to get to Tuam from Dublin by public transport ?

Cheers,

z

Hi

According to a colleague from Tuam, there is indeed a Bus Eireann service from Dublin to Tuam.

zag said:
I am currently trying to work out how to get from Dublin to Tuam by public transport and the options seem less than clear. If anyone has any info on the options it would be great.

I tried the Bus Eireann website but they tell me there is no service from Dublin to Tuam - because there is no town called Tuam.

I did further digging and came up with table 25 of their timetable which shows that not only does Tuam exist, but there are two buses to there from Dublin every day.

The stop in Tuam is described as Tuam (Rail Station), so I checked the Iarnrod Eireann website and it looks like there may well be a rail station, but no trains go there. God, don't you love this country.

Does anyone know of any other easy ways to get to Tuam from Dublin by public transport ?

Cheers,

z

The train station has been closed in tuam for a number of years now. There are Bus Eireann buses from Tuam to Dublin, and other private operators.

SteelBlue05 - do you know the names (or even better the timetables) of the private operators ?

CC - thanks for that.

z

have a look at [broken link removed]

may need to ring them to make sure of the times....

The private operator I was thinking of was Burkes Coaches but I am not too sure now if they do Tuam to Dublin....phone is 093 55416
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phone:[/FONT]

Burkes Tuam/Dublin route is now run by Citylink as far as I remember. The other option would be to get the train to Dublin from either Athenry (12 ish miles from Tuam) or Claremorris (same distance ish).

Be careful re the Bus Eireann route - you might end up going to Galway to get to Dublin!! Means about 30/40 miles out of your way!

[broken link removed] for Dublin - Galway. Then either bus eireann (check the website/aertel/phone them) or Burkes buses (check directory enquires for a number) to get from Galway - Tuam.

There is no rail link until such time as the much talked about Western Rail Corridor gets going.

Back