Trying to Sell house in Negative Equity with my sister

Hi Emily

I understand the stress that continued uncertainty - and the feeling of being trapped by circumstance - can cause. It's very difficult to quantify, but it eats away at us. It becomes like a third, hostile and unwelcome party in a marriage.

The IMHO - who have an agreement with AIB / EBS and who work in tandem with Grant Thornton - will probably ask you to fill out a Standard Financial Statement, which can be quite daunting at first, but is actually manageable. The whole process, if you decide to go with the voluntary sale / informal lump sum payment scenario (if it doesn't adversely effect your credit history) will, of course, be difficult - but at least there will be an end in sight. To paraphrase Nietzsche '......If one has a why to live for then the how of living becomes more bearable' - in your case the certainty at the finish should more than compensate for the stress involved in the process. The current situation - whereby you're paying towards a mortgage for a house you don't reside in while attempting to start a family on your current salary is not sustainable.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for all your advice and you are right I need to deal with this sooner rather than later. I'll come back and let you know the outcome of it all. HOpefully it will be very positive and this worry and stress will be behind us.