Trying to purchase Blackberry

daveccork

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I recently made the decision to purchase a blackberry (probably 8707g). I am an existing O2 customer.

I went into an O2 store and then a Carphone Warehouse store today to enquire about purchasing the phone. I was told that as I was an existing customer I was not entitled to an upgrade (no surprises there as I used my upgrade 5 or 6 months ago).

I then enquired as to how much it would cost for me just to buy it and i was told that it was not possible and that I could only purchase as an upgrade or new customer. I also enquired about sim free and I was advised that maybe e-bay would be the best place to look.

The only option I was given is that i sign up as a customer for a second time and get a new number for my blackberry and sign up for the basic tarriff. this doesn't make sense to me. the whole thing seems a bit odd ........

Has anybody had similar problems or does anybody know if this is the case or not??

I mainly want a phone to keep track of appointments and meetings but also want internet access (web browsing moreso than email) so I have been thinking of alternatives. Has anybody any experience of the nokia E61I or something like the HP Ipaq

Davecork

From my experience what they are saying is correct - unfortunately.
You are going to pay dearly for a sim-free phone dependant on the features you require. Why were you looking for a Blackberry, are you connecting to a corporate mail server? Might be best to look on ebay or adverts.ie (boards.ie sales) for a phone that fits the bill.

Eoin

Thanks Eoin -

A Blackberry isn't absoloutely necessarry but was my first port of call really for the whole "on the go" thing. I am considering Nokia E61i. I would be interested to hear of anybody's experiences of these (or of any phones they would recommend with wifi and good internet capability)

I use a Nokia E50 for both Blackberry corporate email (BES)/calender and personal webmail.

You will probably find any sim free phone is expensive.

PS I have bought sim free Blackberrys from Vodafone through a corporate account. About 250 euro.

Back