Trying to get laptop to see wireless router

RMCF

I have recently bought a wireless router so that I can surf on my laptop downstairs.

I set up the Belkin router with my desktop PC, and it gave me the Hex key for the laptop. I then tried to search for wireless networks on my laptop but its not seeing my signal (it definitely has a wireless network capability).

Is there anything I need to check on either PC to try to get it working?

Look for a router setting labeled something like "broadcast ssid" and make sure its on, otherwise you won't see the router.

Is the desktop connected via wireless?
Also, sometimes laptops can have the wireless disabled on them. There may be a switch somewhere to turn it on.

• Is the laptop seeing ANY wireless networks?
  • As tiger asks is the radio switched on (e.g. some laptops have a physical switch and some have a key combination for switching it on/off - e.g. often Fn + F2 on Dells if the Dell QuickSet (?) utility is installed)
  • Are the correct drivers (and maybe wireless management tool if not using the Windows built-in Zero Configuration support) installed and correctly configured?
  • Maybe install Inssider do a scan and see if it sees any wireless activity. If not then your laptop's wireless is probably not working for some reason (such as the above)

The wireless was indeed switched off on the laptop, but now that its on it still isn't seeing any wireless signals. Infuriating.

Would it be possible that I did something wrong when loading it all up on my desktop PC? I installed the software that came with the router on my desktop and can still surf the net when the signal is going through the router. So there is a signal ok from my internet.

Any other thoughts? Is it more than likely a setting on my laptop still?

Is the desktop connected by cable or wireless? If by cable, then the wireless network may not actually be setup.
I would get a spare NW cable & connect the laptop to the router. First make sure the network/internet works ok. Then go through the wireless setup process on the laptop. When that's completed, try unplugging the cable.

Did you try all of the suggestions that I posted above?

Did them all except the last. Still no joy. Not seeing anything at all. Normally you would even see some wireless signals from the neighbours.

I did have it working about a year ago, so I will have to get my computer nerd bro' to have a look at it !! I will get him to bring a PSP or his iPhone to see if he is getting any signal from my router.

Thanks again.

Back