Trying to get 6 year old to wear glasses & eye patch

pammiedd

Hi

My daughter was prescribed glassed and an eye patch for her lazy eye last year. Things went well as she had a great teacher last year who encouraged her to wear them but some older child called her a dork and now we have a major battle on our hands to try and get her to wear both glasses and patch. I can understand her frustration as I wore an eye patch as a child and they are damn uncomfortable.
Does anyone know where I could get "cool" eye patches. All suggestions gratefully appreciated.

You have my sympathy, pammiedd, we've a now-9-year-old who had the same problem a couple of years ago (and tbh the teacher was almost worse than the other kids! )

You should be able to get kids' skin-tone eyepatches that come with little stick-on transfers - or simply buy a pack of transfers at any Arts 'n' crafts shop? As for the glasses, try to involve her in the choice of frames. If you have any glasses-wearing friends/family that she gets on well with/looks up to, try and enlist their help. Keep telling her how much bigger/smarter/more grown-up she looks with them, etc.

Despite all your efforts, you may find (as we did) that the glasses keep getting mysteriously 'lost' - so try and keep patience!

Thanks good Doc.
I found two good websites www.perfecteyepatch.com (this one is Canadian and sells an eye patch that slips onto the glasses frame).
Also [broken link removed] they sell eye patches with various designs. My daughter is very fashion conscious for her age and hs agreed to try the new style patches.
Hopefully they willwork?

pammiedd