Trying to choose accommodation in Dublin - please help!

boogaloo

Hi,

I'm hoping to book a surprise break as a birthday present for my other half. I have tickets booked for Damien Rice in Marlay park for Saturday 25th August, but not sure what to do about accommodation.

My budget is 150 euro max per room per night.

It would be handy to be in the city centre, so I debated self catering apartments in Trinity college (140 euro for a 2-bed each night). However, even though its location is ideal, its facilities are not. No television, certainly no leisure facilities and I'm wondering if it would all be a bit grim and hostel like.
Can anyone comment from experience?

Other option would be to go out of the centre, maybe even the Marine Hotel in Sutton (gets excellent reviews on tripadvisor) , or somewhere near Dun Laoghaire. Problem with that is that we are meeting friends for dinner in the city centre on Friday night, and would it be a right hassle to get from city centre out of town back to a hotel late at night? What are my options, taxi? How much would/could that cost?

Also, how to get from say, Dun Laoghaire to Marlay park the following day - again, would it be awkward to get from one place to the other?

sorry for all the questions! I'm also considering one of the cheaper hotels (like say, Bewleys in Ballsbridge or Bewleys in Leopardstown) - would they be a good option for the kind of areas I will be in? I would just love something that little bit 'special', even though I know its a big ask for such a small budget.

All help gratefully appreciated, I wish I had a bigger budget!
Perhaps I should look at b&b's/guesthouses? We will be mainly relying on public transport.

Help please!

Any of the Jurys in town should be able to accomodate you for that price. Log on to Jurys.ie.. Other thatn that just google hotels in Dublin and phone them up as they may have special offers. hth. LS

We usually use Bewley's in Leopardstown (last time €100 a night) as it's only a few minutes from the LUAS and handy enough to get to from the M50. Nice enough resturant or bar food - breakfast in the dining room (buffet) is now charged at a rate as opposed to being charged by what you want.

Bewley's near the RDS is slightly more a night but with a far nicer resturant - bus&dart neraby, a bit harder to get there by car but still handy enough.

You can stay in the Hilton in Kilmainham (€10 max taxi from City Centre and the Luas (Heuston) more or less across the road) for €130 per night. Its brand new and I believe it's a 4* job.

Why not try the Beacon Hotel in Sandyford - www.thebeacon.com, gets fairly good reviews on tripadvisor. Sister and her husband stayed there once and said it was nice although she complained about the pillows! too hard or something!
It would be reasonably handy for Marley Park. Also you could use the luas to get into and out from town on the Fri - not sure what time it finishes up at but if your not out too late you may be able to get it.
There is offers of 109 pppn which is dinner bed and breakfast on pigsback.com if your registered (You could always register to avail of the offer). Their website offers it for €172.50 per room per night.
Enjoy Damian Rice I'll be there myself.

You could try the Jackson Court hotel on harcourt street thats 128 euro on www.alpharooms.com or you could try the regency hotel for 97 euro http://www.xcapewithus.com/xcxml/Results.aspx its not in city centre but its on the 16 bus route which you can get from marlay park all the way over.

I stayed at the Radisson St. Helens on the Bray road recently for under €150 midweek .. it's decent ... maybe not special but it's pretty nice and would be closer than city centre hotels to Marlay Park (but not that close - not sure what bus you could get to Marlay Park from there)

Bewleys in Leopardstown would be good too .. it's certainly closer to Marlay Park .. but the Radisson looks nicer from the outside at least! I've heard the Beacon in Sandyford is nice but never stayed there.

Regency Airport hotel and Jackson Court .. These may be cheap .. but I think there'd be a good reason why

You can stay in the Hilton in Kilmainham (€10 max taxi from City Centre and the Luas (Heuston) more or less across the road) for €130 per night. Its brand new and I believe it's a 4* job.

I live near this Hilton. It only opened a few months ago and its leisure centre is gorgeous. Nice gym, but it's the pool that is unreal. It's not exactly for swimming, though! It's one of those hydro pools with jets of water and relaxation areas. Very chilled out. Sauna and steam room too.

I've no idea what the rooms are like.

We ate in the bar one evening (not the main restaurant) and the food was pretty bad and pretty pricey, considering. €16 for bangers and mash (I think) which is a lot of money for poor food.

But location-wise it's grand for town cos of the Luas, as Ballyman said. Not so good for Marlay Park, perhaps!

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies.

I think I have narrowed it down to one of these:

Bewleys Leopardstown (89 euro per night)

Comfort Inn, Smithfield (could get luas in to town) - (139 per room, room only)

Clarion Hotel, IFSC (135 per room per night)

I have decided that ease of access to city is more important than ease of access to Marlay park. Budget is still top priority.

Which of the above 3 would you choose?

thanks.

Check for some help but comfort inn smithfield has best ratings of the 3

check out the refurbished Royal Marine hotel in Dun Laoghaire - rooms are lovely & they have some good rates on their website, from €129 per room per night. And not far from the Dart station either.

If you go for Bewley's in Lepoardstown there is Baan Thai in the office block across from the hotel, food there is yummy imo.