Trying to Cancel Credit Card

S

Sani1978

Hi I hope someone can give me advice on this.

I was doing a spring clean on my internet banking account when I noticed a DD was still set up for halifax for a credit card that I had opened years ago. I canceled the DD along with others that i no longer use. I then got a letter from Halifax saying that my account was overdue by the Govt Stamp duty. I had cancelled this card over 4 years ago over the phone but they are syaing they have no record of that. This has been DD'ing out of my account for the last number of years and I hadn't noticed (oh the celtic tiger!). when I called them they said that they would pursue this thru legal challenges! I know its only 40.00 but I'm gutted I have no record of cancelling this because it was over the phone.

Anyone had a similar experiance? I have an excellent credit rating and don't want this to affect it but I'm pee'd off that i have paid this charge because of their inefficiencies!

If you haven't any copy of the cancellation and have allowed the payment to go through your card for the last few years can't see any way around this. IMHO best to cut your losses and notify them in writing now that you wish to cancel immediately.

The €40 would have gone on your Halifax credit card at the beginning of April - so there's probably interest due by now.

It's probably only a small amount of interest but I'd negotiate with Halifax, tell them you requested the account be closed years ago & that you want interest on the €40 waived.

Back