Trustee --obliged to get best deal on charges?

8till8

I'm a trustee of a small company scheme (6 members) which is held with New Ireland. The premium charges on annual contributions seem to be fairly high, between 5% and 10% (not including admin fee & PB fee €51.38)

Am I obliged as trustee, to shop around for cheaper or better performing pension providers?

Read all their stuff but it doesn't say anything about "value for money" (why am I not surprised)...

Read all their stuff but it doesn't say anything about "value for money" (why am I not surprised)...
I don't know - why are you not surprised?

I doubt that there is any specific requirement for you to get the best deal on charges. After all a specific individual or group's pension requirements may be such that you need to pay charges higher than the cheapest on the market. I presume that there is some prudential supervision role whereby you should do you best to get a "good deal" generally for the scheme/members and that you cannot arrange the pension with your mates and get kickbacks etc. This just seems like common sense to me but I don't know what the letter of the law is. Perhaps you should discuss this with the company accountants and/or pension consultants (if applicable)? If you are not comfortable with assuming the role of trustee then you should decline it.

Back