True or False: ATM Transactions for BOI Laser card limited to €100 outside €-Zone?

J

jeeperscreep

I am off to Thailand tomorrow and I have heard that the BOI has a limit of 100 euro for all atm transactions with their Laser card outside the euro zone, I do not have a credit card so my laser card is my only way of accessing my cash.Can someone tell me if this is true or false?

Almost certainly false. See the T&C's particularly those applicable to Cirrus transactions while abroad:

[broken link removed]

Also:

[broken link removed]

You need to check that with your bank - many banks do have different limits for transactions abroad. Also, make sure your card has a "Cirrus" logo, otherwise it will not work abroad.

Call your bank branch. My card has a daily withdrawl limit of 700 euro, that applies both here and abroad, both eurozone and non eurozone.
I can still use it for over the counter transactions also.
You need to check what limit is on your account before you travel.

If that's also the case with BoI then I stand corrected - and am stunned by such a move!

this is true and has been the case for a number of years. When I checked a couple of years ago after getting caught out by this limit in Thailand I was told that it applied only to countries where card scamming/fraud was prevalent but I found the same issue in Singapore and in Australia (from memory). I was not given the option of raising my limits. Bear in mind that you will be hit with a charge for using the cirrus (?) network and the Thai banks charge also (varies from bank to bank).

It's not that the limit is €100 outside the euro zone....there are different limits set on different countries and also different ATM's within that country depending on if the ATM is "chipped" or not...ring the branch they'll tell you the limit for Thailand.

My brother who is with BOI, was restricted to €100.00 or so ATM withdrawals in Thailand last yr. I know because I had to wire him money!

Since the original poster doesn't have a credit card that can be used to preload cash and withdraw it while abroad perhaps this is (a rare?) case where travellers' cheques may be a more secure and cost effective option?

You need to check that with your bank - many banks do have different limits for transactions abroad. Also, make sure your card has a "Cirrus" logo, otherwise it will not work abroad.

+1

To my knowledge there are different limits set for abroad. You should get in touch with your bank to clarify.