Trouble with linksys router

anatasha

I have looked at all wireless BB queries and tried out remedies.
I bought a linksys wirless-B router,2.4GHz from the states 2 yrs ago.Havent used it since.Anyways,Now trying to go wirless at home(broadband with BT).when all cables are connected,my laptop recognises my other laptop (which isnt wireless),both have the icon beaming at the bottom to show that i am connected,but i cant open any web pages on either computers.Has anyone got any idea what i am doing wrong.
Thanks for any suggestions.i have spent 5 hrs today on it and rang BT who dont want to offer advice as they have not supplied the wireless router.
Thanks

standard problem, Ive the same setup.
You need to set your BT router (usually a zyxel) to bridging mode by connecting straight on to it via cable.
Then connect via cable to the linksys and set PPPOE with the BT login details. Then go to the admin page on the linksys and make sure its getting an IP address from BT.
Then configure your laptop to see the wireless router with security (use WPA). Once you can get on to the linksys wirelessly and its getting the IP from BT, you should be ok.

If you're using a BT modem, and adding the linksys router, I believe you need to reconfigure the modem to work in "Bridging mode" (or something similar). This has come up here before. Also, there's a good FAQ over on boards.ie, either in the wireless networking or broadband forums.

thanks for the replies....car,which cable do you talk about when you talk re bridging?
i'll check the posts on boards...i dont quite get the bridging bit....need to read a bit more..will get back if need be,more than likely ..will have to!

"by cable" means connect to the zyxel with either the USB or cat5 network cable. both types should have come with the router.

So connect via cable, open the admin page by putting the the following IP address into a browser address (should be 192.168.1.1)
When you get on to the router admin one of the first pages you come to is the page which lets you set the mode for the router. One of the drop down boxes there lets you set it as bridging. Once you do this you wont be able to get on the web with the zyxel without setting the settings back.
Then put the usb or network cable thats in your laptop into the linksys input port. Run a cable from one of the out ports and connect to the admin page of the linksys, again, should be 192.168.1.1.
Now you need to set the relevant settings to PPPOE and your BT username and password. Once you do that go to the status page on the linksys, hit refresh and see does the linksys get an IP. If it does, youre in business and should be able to get on the web.

edit: sorry, dunno why, but I didnt see tigers link above, it links to the following for setting zyxels to

Tiger and Car,Thank you so much...after 8 hours of hard work...i have managed to work it out....just for other people...for zyxel modem,the VPI is 8 and not 0 as stated on the bridge link ,as informed by a BT service adviser who ,for a change was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.