Trouble Logging into Router Settings

IrishGunner

Having trouble logging into the configuration settings on router

the model is BT Voyager 2100

http://www.voyager.bt.com/2100/prodinfo.htm

When I go into firefox and insert 192.168.1.1 the page cannot be located ???

I know I have to insert ipconfig /all in the cmd prompt but after that lost as a NewB with that.........

Was on to Utv support most of last night and ran out of patience with them
Went back to old modem which involved moving the pc to another room which was hassle!!

What do I have to look for to see what the problem is as not at PC now

Any suggestions ?

Ta

What do you get when you enter 'ipconfig /all'? The IP address of your PC should be 192.168.1.x and the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. If not then enter 'ipconfig /renew'. Make sure DHCP is enabled (see [broken link removed] - link only viewable in Internet Explorer).

Not sure what I am getting will check when I get home but it was somthing beginning with 256 and thats what the utv support where gazumped with??

They blamed it on Zone Alarm but had this turned off

Will be ringing them again & checking but they take so long to answer their phones

If your PC's IP address starts with 256 then there is no way that you will be able to connect directly to the router on 192.168.1.1. You will most likely need to manually configure the PC's network address details to something like 192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1 or something like that and then connect to the router in order to access the configuration console. Once you have set the router up you can change your network details back to dynamic so that your PC will get IP address details dynamically from the router's DHCP server. I would expect this basic setup information to be provided by BT and/or UTV.

ClubMan said:
If your PC's IP address starts with 256 then there is no way that you will be able to connect directly to the router on 192.168.1.1. You will most likely need to manually configure the PC's network address details to something like 192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1 or something like that and then connect to the router in order to access the configuration console. Once you have set the router up you can change your network details back to dynamic so that your PC will get IP address details dynamically from the router's DHCP server. I would expect this basic setup information to be provided by BT and/or UTV.

Thats What I was thinking but is it easy to manually configure the PCS network address, netmask & gateway ?

Dummies guide to doing this ?

Thanks

The dummy's guide should be included with the router or the ISP's bumpf. If not the this guide or this one outlines the sort of approach needed (maybe for an older version of Windows than XP but the general gist is the same). The static TCP/IP settings are only really needed to initially configuring your router. Once this is done you should be able to switch from the static configuration to dynamic/DHCP allocated TCP/IP settings (Obtain an IP/DNS server address automatically) assuming that your router acts as a DHCP server (unlikely that it doesn't).

Back