Trouble connecting to Net

IrishGunner

Hey

Having trouble connecting to the net

Using a BT Voyager 2100 wireless router running on windows xp2

I am using Zonealarm pro and Bit Defender

The icons in the bottom left corner show that its connected and network is available
yet when I click on firefox cannot connect when 5 minutes previously it was working fine

Its not to do with Zonealarm as I turned this off and still no connection???

Same thing when I reboot

I have gone into the configuration settings and done a diagnostic check and it fails
the pinging option

When I go into the command prompt and ping 192.168.1.1 it seems to work as the firewall picks it up

I also have my login and p/w in but when I click connect still nothing???

Also when I do an ipconfig /all what should I be looking for?

The protocol settings are set to set as the defaults

Anyone got any ideas as with Utv and kept waiting everytime I ring them

Thanks

pinging 192.168.1.1 only tests the connection between the computer and modem/router.
On the diagnostics, what address is it pinging when it fails?
You might want to ping an address you know is on the web.
Is this a new connection or was it previously working?

Not sure it gives the pinging details on the diagnostic test dont think its any

May change the DNS servers to Utv which are

Primary:- 195.218.116.2
Secondary:- 194.46.8.2

and see then

Yeah router seems ok but cannot connect to net

Its not a new connection as it was working fine for an hour last night and then when I went to re open firefox the page cannot be found same with mailwasher could not connect either

Only having this problem since gone wireless. Moved PC into another room(other half not happy) to test it out on phone line using old modem and it works ok so not sure if its a router problem ?

Its just a pain in the u know what esp when you are in the middle of d/l a file

Cheers

So you got a new wireless router? is this a adsl modem/router?
Silly question but have you checked you username & password plus other dialup settings.

I moved to a ADSL Wireless router and spent ages tweeking the settings (they were only in french too which didn't help) only to find it was becuase the password was incorrect.

The support team might be able to tell you if the router is connecting to their servers correctly (this is how I found out -using BT at that time). This would rule out the modem portion of the setup. Then it would be down to the wireless router to computer setup.

The reason why i asked about the IP address is that my current ADSL router doesn't pass the final ping diagnostic test either. It's just not using the correct IP address.

If its working sometimes, can you check wireless reception?
Are you using the intel chipset or a wireless key? check teh config of either to see the wireless reception to see if its dropping

Also, dont just ping, log on to the router to see if its getting an IP from UTV. Or are you using PPPOE?

Hey

Yep its an adsl http://www.voyager.bt.com/2100/prodinfo.htm (BT Voyager 2100)

Just noticed there is firmware update on the site so may try that

Yep username and p/w is correct

Its just strange that one minute its connecting and then next its not

Will try to call Utv support but think it maybe easier to call Elvis

The wait time is crazy