Triple glazing?

TheRebelRam

I am planning to build a conservatory as open plan to my kitchen. I am looking to insulate as best I can. One idea I was thinking of was the use of triple glazing. Has anyone used triple glazing and would they know how efficient it is compared to double glazing?
Are there any other energy saving suggestions?
The conservatory will be north facing so I can't depend on sunlight.
Would under floor heating be recommended as a better heating solution rather than rads? Is this possible when the rest of the house just uses rads?

First off Are you planning an all glass conservatory or a sun room

A sunroom would be better as it would allow you to use it all year. A sunroom is basically a block construction to certain height and significant proportion glazed from here up. A normal roof is then installed. With this construction it would be a nice comfortable level all year round.

As for the triple glazing, not much point unless the rest of the house is highly efficent even then it wouldnt be top of my list. With triple glazing comes expense weight and size. In my opinion a Double galzed unit would suffice. This unit could be highly insulated and have a low e coating which would surpass the triple glazing(assuming its standard

First off Are you planning an all glass conservatory or a sun room

A sunroom would be better as it would allow you to use it all year. A sunroom is basically a block construction to certain height and significant proportion glazed from here up. A normal roof is then installed. With this construction it would be a nice comfortable level all year round.

As for the triple glazing, not much point unless the rest of the house is highly efficent even then it wouldnt be top of my list. With triple glazing comes expense weight and size. In my opinion a Double galzed unit would suffice. This unit could be highly insulated and have a low e coating which would surpass the triple glazing(assuming its standard

Thanks for the reply.
We are planning a sunroom and hope to have it openplan with the kitchen. It is a new built timber framed house so the house should be very efficient. The main reason why I thought of triple glazing was because of the planned 50% glass 50% brick construction and it's north facing position.
I'm not quite sure of the price difference between triple and single so I am not too sure if the energy saving costs I would make would be enough of a payback.

Not sure if it's true but can anyone confirm that you can lose 10-15% in natural light with tripple glazing!

Back