Trip to USA Sept / Oct 2008

themetunegal

Hello

My husband and I are planning a trip to the US last week in Sept / first wk in Oct.

We fly in to NY and have booked three nights accommodation there. We have six days before flying out of Boston.

Any suggestions for a good trip... we are going to hire a car, so not dependent on public transport. We have previously visited Cape Cod, Portland (Maine), New Hampshire, Salem and Boston itself.

We would like to visit Niagara Falls (probably US side) but aren't getting too much inspiration as to where to stay along the road (Syracuse is looking like the most exciting stop).

Alternatively, perhaps a trip along the coast road from NY to Boston.

I'd welcome any suggestions you may have!

Thanks
themetunegal

Just come back from a trip in NE USA/Canada myself. My advise would be just to drive from New York to Niagara in one day. It is a long drive and if you are 2 drivers you can do it , the tiresome part will be getting out of NYC, so start very early. Drove through Syracuse, didn't seem very special to me. If you go to Niagara go to the Canadian side, you will have a better view and more things to do, and in general is much nicer. Don forget the maid of the mist. The best $14 you will spend
In NYC go to Rockefeller rather than Empire State Building ( no queues, and you get to see the EST).

I have heard Vermont is very nice in the autumn, maybe investigate that as a stop on your way to Boston.

Hope you pick up the hire car when you leave NYC, if not change the reservation, you will not need a car in NYC, you will not drive it, as you cannot park it anywhere- Parkings advertise $7 for the first the 30 mins as a kind of a bargain..The subway is brilliant and cheap, will get you anywhere.

Have fun

Just in relation to Niagara - I would recommend staying in Niagara on the Lake as opposed to the falls area itself. Supposed to be a beautiful town. Loads of lovely guesthouses. Havent been myself but the missus and her parents were over there via Toronto and thought it was gorgeous ! Also watch the border crossings - not sure what is like going from US to Canada but the otherway can be difficult especially if one has forgotten one's passport !