Trip to America and Canada

Lamps

I’m planning my USA and Canada trip – I’m going for roughly 3 weeks and I’ll be on my own for the American leg.

Plan is to fly into Toronto, stay there about 5 days (I have free accom with a friend), then head to Niagra Falls, then get a Greyhound bus down to New York (I have an old passport, somebody was saying I must get a new passport before I enter the states?). I will stay in a hostel in Manhatton for 3 nights or so. The I’m moving down to Kentucky or Virginia, again will hang around here for 2 or 3 days (is there even anything to do down there), then over to Washington DC for 2 nights or so to see the White House etc then down to Tennesse where I want to see both Nashville and Tennessee and go to some honky tonk bars etc Then I hope to be able to fly out of Memphis back to Dublin but haven’t yet looked into that, would it be better going down into Texas?

I’ll be doing this on my own, I’ve traveled on my own before and although it can be quite boring I should be ok. Will stay in hostels when I can so hopefully will pick up friends along the way. But if I got to bars etc on my own will I be able to talk away to Americans, like are they a friendly enough bunch?

Can anyone suggest some of the not so obvious things to do, like info on going to a baseball game or American football game etc

Any other ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated

passport has to be machine readable - best to check out if your one is ok and give plenty of time to get new one. Don't know what time of year you going but if can get in an ice hockey game it should be great. went last year to one and had a ball. much better atmosphere I found that the baseball/footy games. I've no more help on other states though.

Mmm why go to Kentucky/Virginia, then to DC and back again to Tennesse, seems like a lot of needless travel. That would be almost like going from Cork to Belfast, Belfast to Limerick?

Maybe leave Washington till the end, Aer Lingus (EI) fly from Dulles.

If you want to fly from Memphis you can fly Northwest (NW) to Amsterdam and connect from there. NW have great service, good Video on Demand In-flight Entertainment and decidedly more friendly attendants than EI.

Ye i got that a bit wrong, would look at doing Toronto to New York to Penslyvania (would there be anything to do there I wonder!?) to Washingotn DC and then fly out of Dulles airport.

FLights are costing me a total of 600euros - flying into Toronto with Air transit and from Washington DC to Dublin with Aer Lingus - expensive enough but considering i'll be going in about 4 weeks not to bad.

Dont even know why im goign over there, been everywhere in europe thogh and a lot of Asia so want to see a bit of the states and need to use the 2 weeks holidays! Would 2 weeks be enough time?

You don't seem very sure about this holiday? more like you have some sort of compulsion to go to the States rather than go on a holiday?

TBH ive just been told at the last minute that I have to take 2 weeks holidays in 4 weeks time, now im not sitting around Dublin when I can be off seeing a new country!

ive travelled the world and never been to the States so want to go there, im so busy with work ive little time to investigate it so thats why ic ame here.

Im piecing the trip together though, bit by bit

Limit it to Toronto-Niagra-New York-Washington. There is more than enough to see in 2 weeks. Possible 14 day itinerary.....
Fly 1 day
Toronto 3 days
Toronto to NY via Niagra 2 days
NY 5 days
NY to Washinton 1 day
Washinton 2 days
Fly home 1 day