Trinity school of dentristy: Dental work for free?

liaconn

I heard from someone ages ago that patients can attend the dental school of Trinity and get treated for free. Does anyone know anything about this?

Re: Trinity school of dentristy

I have also heard of that, but understood that it was dental students who carried out the work. That could limit it to term time, and also the range of service offered.

Re: Trinity school of dentristy

One can be treated for free if the health board gives a letter to the hospital outlining a very good reason, e.g. being born with a genetic condition affecting the teeth. Common ailments not included, e.g. needing braces, caps, crowns, etc

I heard from someone ages ago that patients can attend the dental school of Trinity and get treated for free. Does anyone know anything about this?

Why would anyone want to do this. I remember fgoing to the Dental hospital whenyounger and it was a dreadful experience,I didnt know at the time they were students .

A few years ago I went to the dentist for the first time in about ten years.

He listed the amount of work which was needed and said that it would take about 6 months of visits and cost thousands.

He then offered an alternative. He was doing some advanced course in the Dental Hospital and basically said I could be his subject if I was flexible on dates and didn't mind others observing.

To cut a long story short, I got all the work done in about 2 months for €250 which I regarded as a great result.

I got a root canal done there by a final year student supervised by a qualified dentist and still have it 10 yrs later. It pretty much shuts down for summer however.

I was referred to them by my dentist because of ongoing problems. I've been seeing them for three years without any problems. Students perform the routine work and are overseen (quite regularly) by supervisors. Major work (such as operations) are performed by qualified staff. The only downside (for me) is that they're inflexible with their appointment times because it has to fit in with their lecture schedule.

It's not free but it's much cheaper than a normal dentist. I think each session (about 2-3 hours) costs €20 - €25 and I got two wisdom teeth removed for about €450.

Back