Tri Band phone,will it work

SparkRite

Hi All,
As I have said in previous posts my parents are going on a Caribbean cruise soon with RCI.

Will a TRI band Nokia Phone work onboard?
Also does anybody know the cost of using mobiles on board?

TIA

Yes it will from the ships cell.

Might be different in some of ports are you visiting, as they may not have a roaming agreement with O2/Vodafone/3.

Yes it will from the ships cell.

Might be different in some of ports are you visiting, as they may not have a roaming agreement with O2/Vodafone/3.

Am I correct in assuming that the ship uses satellite for the transcoded GSM signal ?

Am I correct in assuming that the ship uses satellite for the transcoded GSM signal ?

It would be GSM or CDMA over satellite. And GPRS for data.

But be careful as the voice calls are very expenive, and using data is even more so.

It's not a normal roaming rate, it's whole other zone.

It would be GSM or CDMA over satellite. And GPRS for data.

But be careful as the voice calls are very expenive, and using data is even more so.

It's not a normal roaming rate, it's whole other zone.

Thank you Jhegarty for your time,

Do you know approx how much a txt or even (God forbid) a call for 1 min would be from an RCI ship in Panama would be?

Check with your phone company to make sure.

€2/€3 euro a minute would be typical on a bill pay phone.

Except around 50c to send a text. Receiving texts should be free.

I'm on a 'family and friends' Vodafone deal which is a really fantatic package and when on board the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin last week, I got a text saying 'Welcome to Maritime Communications - Making calls while roaming on this operator costs €5.11 per minute. Receiving a call costs €3.24 per min. Texts cost 29c to send but are free to receive'

I was fairly shocked to be honest - given how good my bundle is otherwise.

I'd be very wary and wait until I had at least docked at one of the various islands before using the phone - therefore incurring 'regular' roaming charges rather than 'maritime' ones.

HTH
:D

I'm on a 'family and friends' Vodafone deal which is a really fantatic package and when on board the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin last week, I got a text saying 'Welcome to Maritime Communications - Making calls while roaming on this operator costs €5.11 per minute. Receiving a call costs €3.24 per min. Texts cost 29c to send but are free to receive'

I was fairly shocked to be honest - given how good my bundle is otherwise.

I'd be very wary and wait until I had at least docked at one of the various islands before using the phone - therefore incurring 'regular' roaming charges rather than 'maritime' ones.

HTH
:D

Thanks for that Phibbleberry, I think carrier pidgeon in on the cards.......

Back