Trellises for back wall?

blinkbelle

I have just bought some climbling plants for a wall outside and think that I will need the wooden things trellis sorry cant spell it.

Im a total garden novice and am trying to make my own nice garden because i got a few quotes from landscape companys and lets just say it was expensive.

Anyways can i buy these is any garden centre?

Also the plants i have would I plant them in a pot just underneath the trellis and they will climb themselves?

Sorry if this all sounds stupid

thanks

Re: Trellisis (spelling?) for back wall?

It's 'trellises'. I've edited your title (it sounded like a disease of the trell...!)

Yeah, you'll get them in any DIY/Home & Gardens place. Spare a thought for how you'll transport them home...

Also the plants i have would I plant them in a pot just underneath the trellis and they will climb themselves?

Do I assume that there isn't soil under the wall where you intend to plant? If there is, you can just plant in the soil. Otherwise you can use pots but ensure they are big enough or your plants will eventually become 'pot-bound'. You also have to take greater care with watering potted plants. Follow the planting instructions which should come with the plants. Some plants will put out tendrils which grab onto the trellis, others will need assistance either using ties or by training them to grow in and out of the laths in the trellis. Go to a good Garden Centre and you'll get all the advice you need. Also search the Forum for links to sites which provide gardening advice.

Enjoy your gardening! It's a very nice pastime.

It depends on the plant whether or not they'll climb alone. Ivy will cling, clematis will wind itself around it's own stems as well as the trellis and can become an unruly mass! Whether they cling or not, you have to tie them into the trellis to start with, to ensure they are supported while new and that they go in the direction you want them to!! Ask for guidance when buying the plants you've chosen.