Trees/shrubs for a shady courtyard garden

Marion

I have a small courtyard garden area that I would like to organize

I am thinking that I might have maybe 2 japanese maple trees Other than the maples I think that a small magnolia tree might be a possibility? What variety would be good?

The area is facing east, and is shaded by my house to the north and my neighbour's house (and boundary wall 2 m) to the south There is a red-brick wall 2 m to the east. There are double glazed doors to the west. In reality it is practically constantly shaded. The area is approx 5m x 3.6 m

I also think that I will have a couple of plants in large pots that like shade - black bamboo and fern. I will also probably have a very simple water feature.

Any difficulties with my aspirations?

Marion

Hi Marion,

A word of caution re the maple trees. If the garden is east facing then it gets the early morning sun. If you have a heavy dew the heat of the morning sun on the damp leaves can really damage them. Magnolias need ericaceous soil to be really happy I find. Most people say they need sun but I have a beautiful Magnolia Grandiflora (too big for your space) and a Magnolia Soulangiana (the one that gets flowers before leaves in Spring), doing extremely well in the type of location you describe. Perhaps the smaller Magnolia Stellata would be best.

Marion,

not sure how well Magnolia will do as frosts may burn up flowers in this orientation. Early sun would burn flowers if there was a frost. I'd go for lots of foliage including variegated foliage for colour. Some ferns, bamboos and a castor oil plant will do pretty well. Epimediums do well in dry shade. For scented flowers give the golden Philadephus a go, sun tends to burn leaves so should do well in dappled shade.

Happy planting

Puffin

check out the farmers journal [journal part 2] theres a series of articles in there on odd ball spaces and what to do etc.