Trees blocking light

R

rossm

Hi All,

There are five large conifer trees at the side/end of my south facing garden that block all the light from 1PM to 6 PM in the evening. In the afternoons of these beautiful days my back garden is dark and cold while the trees look fantastic from the other side at about 100 feet high standing on the verge of a public road in a neighboring estate catching all of the light. My house is by far the closest to the trees and mine is the only house with such a significant problem. Without the trees my garden would be a serious sun trap, with the trees it is in total shadow most of the productive part of the day. With two young kids it would be great for them to be able to play in the afternoon in the sun this summer.

In the winter the trees shed pine needles all over my garden and house, blocking all the gutters and covering all of the grass and flower beds. The pine cones are very hard and heavy. Seeing the size of them in the garden makes me think what would happen if they hit someone or a window. By the way for some reason very large pigeons love these pine trees you should see the mess outside my back door on the roof and in the garden in general when they are active. I think you get the idea -the trees are a serious pain.

I rang the council who sent someone down to have a look. They recognise that there is a problem but because significant work was needed on the trees and I would need agreement from the representatives of the estate where the trees were technically located before they decided on the extent of the work that would be done and if it would be done.

Before I head around to find if they have a residence association, has anyone had similar experiences? I want to try my best to keep everyone happy, but the event that doesn't work does anyone know where I stand legally? I have heard phrases such as "Right to light" etc. but really have no clue. Someone told me that such cases can be taken against the council as a civil action, does anyone have experience of this, what was the outcome? Again this is only so I know the cards I hold before I open the gentle discussions.

Regards,

What sort of reply do you want - how to approach local residents or how to take the Council to court?

Frankly I think you are getting off on the wrong foot completely.

I guess if you had advise on either it would be great - obviously I will be trying my best with the former in the first instance. Don't get me wrong the council have been great to-date very friendly and reasonable happy to go out of their way to help. I am just doing a bit of investigation to understand the situation I am in before I head down this road, anything wrong with that?

you could try to get others in your street, road to agree with you and go to council regarding same issue.

Im a tree surgeon. We run into problems likes this alot. we usually go on the pretence that if a neighbours tree encroaches across your boundry you have the right to cut back whats invading your property.

Im not sure of the legality of this, but thats our operating procedure.

if all else fails and your getting nowhere about topping the trees, look at the safety aspect of the trees affecting you, your family or your house and use this card.

all other avenues should be explored first.

Back