Tree Chopping Frenzy..

eviecarwash

Hi guys,
Just moved into our house last week. We stupidly decided to chop down a tree from our back garden yesterday (we were only supposedly to tidy it up, and basically ended up getting rid of it!!) Blocked a lot of light etc.. Anyway, the aftermath is how to dispose of the bloody thing!! In our hacking frenzy we never thought of this. Would Dublin City Council help or what? We are prepared to pay the €200 for a skip if we have to, but I'm thinking there may be alternative cheaper courses of action?? What do ye think?

Thanks for the replys. What's a mulch? Also, won't need firewood cause we've an electric fire. Do I have any other options? I've emailed dublinwaste.ie to see if they've any ideas.

i can't believe in this day and age and the cost of fuel you're stuck getting rid of a tree. do any of your neighbours have open fires/stoves? Put up a sign in a local shop 'firewood to take away Free'?

Could you get it transported to somewhere like [broken link removed]

Their charges aren't too high:

Vehicles Accepted* and Charges
From Thursday 1st February, 2007, the charges at the Civic Amenity Centre, Ballymount will be as follows
  • Domestic Waste and large bulky items such as furniture and carpets
    Car only €15.00
    Car Van/Estate Car €21.00
    Cars & Small box trailer €35.00
  • Green Waste
    Car only €8.00
    Car Van/Estate Car €12.00
    Cars & Small box trailer €25.00
    All other recyclable materials will continue to be accepted free of charge.
*No commercial vehicles or commercially sized vehicles (i.e. Hi-ace, transit vans etc.) will be accepted.

Thanks for all your help. Since Ballymount is only up the road from us I think the Civic Amenity is the way to go. I never knew of this facility but delighted there is one and so close too! Thanks again.

You can hire a shredder at the usual places such as Action Hire, Hire All etc. A mulch is something you spread on the soil, can be wood chippings, coconut fibre or pellets. It preserves moisture in the soil in dry weather and can be dug into the ground later on to improve the soil. You can also use gravel as a mulch which will help with water retention and the look of the garden but don't dig it in!

i think you should look at the giving away free option first, why would you put it in a dump, with waste, I know our local council has a location to recycle wood, is this available to you and will they accept this.

why not chop it up and put it into the small firewood bags
and sell for 2 euro a go

It's worth noting that not all wood is suitable for burning in a domestic fireplace. Consider what kind of tree it is first and if it is suitable allow time for it to dry out in a dry place.

a chipper is about 200e p day to rent. be careful using it......a polish lad got sucked into one a while back.lets just say he wont be coming back.
you also got to think about where ur going to put the chipped wood.

youll be hard pressed to make money selling it as fire wood. itll take ages to split it into the wee slips u see in gas stations....those boys use hydraulic wood plitters. not an axe.

you could ring someone who sells coal and blocks and see if they would take it off your hands.