Treating rust from a scrape

Caveat

Hi

My understanding is that rust due to a scrape is much less serious than rust due to age/body rot - correct?

Have a couple of 10 cm scrapes which are rusty - my main concern is to treat the rust but obviously I would like to improve the appearance too.

A couple of questions:

Is it ok to just apply a rust inhibitor or do you need to remove the rust altogether?

A bit of filler wouldn't go amiss - can this be applied directly to a rust treated area?

Aside from filler/rust treatment and (I'm proposing) Halfords paint pen kits, is there anything else I need?

(I'm aware that it won't look 100% but for the value of the car, it's not worth paying a pro)

Thanks

Get the car buffed, it really brings a renewed shine and will remove rust from light scratchs.

Ok, but not a light scratch by any stretch - a deep, rusty, 10cm, indented scrape...

yeah, had scratchs on a work van and just buffed them, I had to buff the entire van as it looked really bright on one side and dull on the other. I used a medium grade compound and buffed. After that I got a litte paint brush and repainted the scratchs, looked ok. Had to do it all again a year later though!

As a general rule if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail it cannot be 'buffed out'.

I didn't buff them out. buffed them to remove surface rust and painted. wasn't worth bringing to a pro.

Can you tell me what exactly "buffing" involved and what did you use?

Did you treat the area or just apply the compound & paint?

I used a buffing machine, don't know the name of it. It is electric and looks like an angle grinder, but instead of a cutting blade is a cirular pad that revolves very quickly. I added the compound stairght on to it. Then I just painted the scraths with a little paint brush.

Ok, this is a bit OT - but this guy lists out the buffing machine that he uses. (just might be a bit OTT for what you want ;) )

To clean up the car, 32 hours of polishing and 55 hours of work in total. If you plan to get started on Friday evening, you might get finished up for Monday.

Back