Treating\Reseeding\Rolling Garden.

lastbuilders

Hi All,

i reseeded my new garden last october and it has come up quite patchy with lots of weeds at the moment.

I have gotten some more seed to treat the patchy areas and some weed killer which is also a fertiliser for the lawn.

The weed killer does not say not to spread seed at same time so I though I would ask here if I can spread the seed and weed killer at same time?

The lawn is also quite uneven in places so I am planning to hire a hand roller and give it a good roll when the ground is a little softer but am plannnig on doing this after weed killer and seed have been spread.

I also have to plant some pine trees. Is this the correct time of year for this?

Apologies for all the questions but my fingers are definately not green so any guidance appreciated.

Lastbuilders

No you cannot sow grass seed in the same year as you use the "feed and weed" products as the grass seed may not germinate and you run the risk of killing off the new sprouting grass as well as the weeds.

Pull the weeds by hand or use a targeted "squirt-on" weed-killer on each weed plant.

As regards the pine trees, while spring is generally a good time to plant, specific trees may require different planting times - ask at the garden centre where you intend to purchase them.

I wouldn't use weed killer yet. I expect many of these weeds will die after you have cut the lawn a couple of times.

Thanks fo the replies.

I would pull the weeds but they are throughtout the lawn which is about 200 sq meters so I think it would take a few months to get rid of all of them. I am not a weed expert but they are purple with small white flowers.

I will try reseeding and cutting the grass and see what happens.

I haven't cut the grass at all yet.
Lastbuilders

...I am not a weed expert but they are purple with small white flowers...
Pretty little things. I can't remember the name but very invasive and tends to smother grass in the vicinity with its leaves.
...I haven't cut the grass at all yet...
Take your time - there may be frost yet. Set the mower to its highest setting and once ten days or so at this setting is enough for a while.

Back