Travelling with laptop - ways to protect from theft..

Markjbloggs

or, to be more accurate, ways to find a stolen laptop.

So, can this be done through it's wifi connection or its Windows XP serial number?

I don't understand your question. You ask something in the heading, and then the text in the post is a different question altogether?

There are numerous off-the-shelf products that claim to be able to track the laptop. They are based on having installed their application prior to the laptop being stolen though !

Dell have an option in the US to have the tracking app pre-installed. I don't remember seeing the option in Ireland though.

Hey Guys,

Ok well there is a freeware that i have used in the past works well. They are having some issues at the moment but if you sign up they will keep you updated and should be back up and running at 100% in no time.

The software itself even sends you pictures of the person who stool your laptop if you have an inbuilt camera.

It works by on randomly posting information on how and where its connected to the internet to a database that you can track from anywhere. There is no way to know when its sending the information and it tracks where it is by IP address.

http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/

If you need a hand just PM me.

Scott