Travelling with appliances

johnno09

Could anyone tell me what is required for european appliances specifically a hair straightner to work in the usa. Is there more required than an adaptor for the plug

It probably won't work. They use different voltages - only 110v compared to Europe's 220-240. I'd recommend you buy a pair over there.

Hello,
For electric appliances, it varies from case to case.

Laptop power supplies and things like Blackberry chargers are usually multivoltage and can work on a range of voltages, so for those all you need is a 'tourist' adapter for the physical plug. I have no experience of hair appliances as I'm bald . You can check if your appliance is rated for use in the USA on the label or engraved electric specifications for your straightener. It has to say 110-230v 50-60hz. Some hair straighteners do support multiple voltages, the GHD IV Styler for example (which I think is the reference in the market). Check the specifications on your label and post those here if you're unsure and I'll take a look.

Tony

Could anyone tell me what is required for european appliances specifically a hair straightner to work in the usa. Is there more required than an adaptor for the plug

Just buy the appropriate travel plug, always works for me. I go nowhere without my ghd

Just buy the appropriate travel plug, always works for me. I go nowhere without my ghd

Merely changing the plug will not work in US, unless the appliance was designed to work at 110v, which is the voltage used in the US.

If it is rated for 200-240 only, it simply will not work. Probably wont blow up though.

A 110v rated appliance being plugged in to 220v in Europe, that might be dangerous.

The plug should have a label attached stating the specs. If it has something like:

Input 100-240VAC 50-60Hz

Then it'll work in the US or Europe with the appropriate travel adapter. If the input is stated to be 220-240VAC, then using it in the US will result in it either not operating correctly or damaging it beyond repair.
Leo