Travelling with a known health issue

wednesday

We want to go on holiday for next May/June. OH has major heart issues and suffered a cardiac arrest in March. I am obviously very concerned about going abroad and not being properly insured and/or having poor health care in the event of needing some.

Any suggestions on where to head? And any advice on a travel insurer who will cover him?

Thanks in advance

Well if you stay within the EU and Switzerland you would be entitled to standard medical treatment as an EU citizen. What is normally not covered is transport costs, so if you were in somewhere remote and had to be shipped to hospital it might be expensive.

So if you can't get cover I would suggest a large town or city in middle Europe: France, Germany, Switzerland or Austria.

I was in southen Spain last week and was speaking to two British expats living there. They said the healthcare was excellent. A new hospital was built near Torrevieja in recent years and the local emergency services were always on the go. We witnessed an emergency whereby an elderly gentleman collapsed opposite our apartment and the ambulance arrived within 5 minutes, we timed it. So, Spain and France would be excellent spots as far as health facilities go.

My mother in law lives there, she always comes back to Ireland if she needs medical appointments. That hospital has missed broken bones on her twice.

No private insurer will cover him -except if you are lucky enough to have private health insurance already. I had a heart attack some years ago and the main reason I stick to VHI is because they cannot exclude pre-exisiting conditions.

If you don't have private health insurance then the previous posters are right.

thanks for all the replies. I'd say Europe is going to be as far as we go for the foreseeable future. Don't fancy ending up on Sun, Sea and A & E!

If you haven't already done so, you should apply for the European Health Insurance Card which will cover you in public hospitals in EU & EEA countries and, as Jim2007 says, stay in Europe near a large town or city.

What will not be covered by the EHI is repatriation in the event of illness or death. I guess is someone does become ill, you just have to wait there until well enough to travel...

Is it really necessary for you guys to travel and fly or maybe travelling to nearby places will suffice (like no plane trips to trigger any health ailment).

Rico_m: The main reason that we're seeking to go abroad is because the weather here has been SO woeful. Having the sun on your back always makes you feel better