Travelling with a AIB credit card Solution Please

Markievicz

Ex Ulster Bank , have received my new credit card, in the info it tells me I cannot add a travel note to my card if travelling but their plan around security is to txt me and ask me to txt back if there is a question. I intend travelling to Malaysia on holiday. Had planned to swop out my sim to local sim and use WhatsApp for calls
Therefore wouldn't be in position to receive this validation txt..I'm a middle aged solo traveller who likes to be prepared before I go. I do not want to forced into a roaming package on my current phone nor do I want to be left high and dry when away. Please do not tell me I can ring their international number if/when I'm blocked, could do without this. Really each passing day the flexibility to customer needs gets less, any suggestions welcome. No sure Revolut is used in Malaysua so couldn't necessarily depend on that...not sure how to cross post to travel so

My solution is:
1. Where possible I always carry enough cash to pay for the purchase, in case a card does not work.
2. I have two cards of different types (Visa and Master Card) from two different providers. Currently one uses their App and the other SMS.
3. Dual SIM phone. Previous used a spare phone for the local SIM. But from experience only SIM cards from one of the main Irish providers has a chance of working (receiving SMS in a timely manner), providing you select the local main provider when roaming.

I have only really run to a problem in a small town when their microwave link went down. We only discovered that when none of the cards would work in the hotel's machine and the town's one and only ATM.

I am not impressed that the latest card is black and does not have an embossed card number. I can see a WTF is this happening! The joy of using a 1st World card in a 3rd World/Developing country.

There is an esim available in Malaysia: esim.holafly.com so you wouldn't need to take your existing Sim out of the phone.
You would still have to pay for text back to AIB.

Ex Ulster Bank , have received my new credit card, in the info it tells me I cannot add a travel note to my card if travelling
Did you try contacting them by phone to ask ??
I'm not with AIB but BOI and I ran into a problem last year while traveling through France and had to ring them for clearance
During the conversation the bank rep said she would make a note of my travel dates so as this wouldn't happen again while I was there

During the conversation the bank rep said she would make a note of my travel dates so as this wouldn't happen again while I was there
Current BOI policy is not to record if a customer is abroad, and the option is removed from Banking 365! I don't know if it helps, but I make sure to use the Credit Card in each airport along the way. This hopefully creates a paper trail that I am now on Holiday!

Current BOI policy is not to record if a customer is abroad, and the option is removed from Banking 365!
Yes would agree with that, years ago when traveling I had to inform BOI of the dates I'd be away but now you don't have to
My point was although it is written that you don't have to inform them, they can and do make exceptions when you call them
No harm in asking!!

Get a dual sim phone if possible.
Buy local sim / data package
Esims are great in theory but I've had mixed results.
If you plan to use it, set up Uber with your Revolut before you leave.

You can top up revolut from bank, takes a day to appear, but saves the MFA step.

Bring at least two different cards if you can, e.g. one Mastercard, one Visa.

If you don't already have one, a fast charger for your phone is a god-send.

PTSB and Avant both allow a travel note to be added; surprised other banks don't.

Malayasia is well developed compared to many other countries in SE Asia.

have you linked your Revolut to Google pay ?

Thanks one and all for your replies, which are helpful. AIB v clear texting customer is their 0nly option, I spoke to them. As someone I my mid 50s the move from Ulster Bank to AIB has completely shown to me that we do our own banking now and can't expect much or any service. Hours of our own time go into making changes etc that used to be part of being a customer, and then they add these conditions that suit them with no consideration of real people increase life situations. DannyBoyD I am going to Sabah/ Sarawak so might be less developed in this region

I traveled extensively in the past using an Ulster Bank Mastercard cc and had very few issues over the 40 or so years I was with them. Since I moved at the end of 2021 I have found AIB's Credit Card operation pathetic by comparison. Randomly blocking apple pay transaction and unable to give any reason and not even notifying me, Daft currency conversion rates/overseas transaction charges, and appalling delays when contacting their customer service. I've been abroad on a few occasions over the last 14 months and there was no way I was taking the risk of relying on these second raters and their rubbish systems. Instead, I used my N26 (debit card) and it proved extremely reliable. And the currency conversion was excellent (matching the rates on xe.com) and no transaction charges. So I'd suggest you either have a solid backup plan, or use an alternative.

With regard to "their plan around security is to txt me and ask me to txt back if there is a question" I have never had this experience. They simply block the card and leave it to me to figure it out and contact them on their interminably slow customer service.

Freelance, thank you, this is confirming my fears. Mind you, Ulster Bank blocked me here at home in the past week for booking flights and an expensive dental bill from Northern Ireland. It's getting ludicrous

It's getting ludicrous
I brought my EBS debit card with me to France last year. It stopped working within a few days of me using it. I had phoned them beforehand to tell them I was travelling there. They noted it and said that I did not need to do this anymore. Thankfully I had brought cash with me as well.

This year I will bring the same card with me. I also have a new AIB credit card. One is verification by App and the other by text.....so I think I have both options covered. However I will be bringing more cash with me so I don't have to be worrying about whether my cards will work.