travelling to US: are two single tickets ok

P

phelank

Hi,

Travelling to the US in the autumn for a few days on holidays, sussing out flights from Shannon and noticed that two single tickets work out cheaper than a return (€60 difference) even though I'm booking the same flights out and back.

Can't figure out why this should be the case unless its related to immigration and needing an actual return ticket as opposed to two single
tickets

Any advice most welcome

i have left snn with a one way, cos i was on business and not sure when or how i would come back,, Continental were a bit funny on this,, think cos i was going to mexico, the mexcian authority could fine them or something,,,

aer lingus might be ok,, they will finger print u and check the usaul stuff whn they ask where will u stay and for how long etc,, should be ok i reckon

Ive done this a few times before, never had any hassle or been questioned about it. If you're asked on the way out why you haven't got a return ticket, just show them your other single ticket and explain that it's cheaper that way.

US immigration in Dublin see hundreds of people every day. Surely they've come across this before.

Same as miser, did this before leaving from one city and returning from another. Once you have proof that you're coming back there's no problem

I brought this up before. It's cheaper to book two one ways than a return. Aer lingus won't charge the yanks a fuel surcharge. They know Irish people will pay it for them

I brought this up before. It's cheaper to book two one ways than a return. Aer lingus won't charge the yanks a fuel surcharge. They know Irish people will pay it for them

Just tried this on Aer Lingus website.

Return ticket to Boston leaving 12th August and returning 20th August was 1502.84 for two people.

Two single tickets each way on the same flights cost E796.72 outbound and $723.54 giving a total price (assuming exchange rate of 1.50 to the euro) of E1273.53 a difference of more than 200 euros.

Thanks for the posts. Heading to New York at the end of October for a few days from Shannon.
Checked out Delta, Aer Lingus and Continental return initially, Delta were €540, Continental €582 and Aer Lingus €596.

Tried Delta with two singles, worked out €266 out and €211 inwards so total fare is €477 so I booked that, Continental drops to €525, Aer Lingus work out more expensive.

Thanks for the posts. Heading to New York at the end of October for a few days from Shannon.
Checked out Delta, Aer Lingus and Continental return initially, Delta were €540, Continental €582 and Aer Lingus €596.

Tried Delta with two singles, worked out €266 out and €211 inwards so total fare is €477 so I booked that, Continental drops to €525, Aer Lingus work out more expensive.

Aer Lingus only seems to work out more expensive because the return trip is priced in dollars

I think Aer Lingus works out cheaper for the return flight. It looks like you would save by booking with Delta for your flight to USA and book Aer Lingus for your return flight.

I have no experience myself of travelling on two single tickets but my brother and his girlfriend travelled to New York last year with Aer Lingus and flew back with Delta as it worked out cheaper for them and they had no hassles. US Immigration might give you some hassle whether it's with 2 single tickets or a return ticket! I've had my fair share of hassle with them on return tickets so it can be hit and miss either way I guess!

I've done this too, no problems - flying into Newark, flying back from San Fran. Never even asked at immigration.

I've done this too loads of times.

I think US immigration problems are a bit over hyped. They're much more civilized these days than they used to be.

Back