Travelling to Peru, wondering what cash to bring

newirishman

Hi I am travelling to Peru in a few weeks and was wondering what the best thing to do is in terms of bringing money. I have a visa debit and also credit cards, but wondering what cash I should bring. Also, an idea on the price levels would be helpful if anyone knows.
Are US-$ generally accepted? If so I was thinking about bringing a few hundred in cash (small notes as usual), and if need more just use an ATM?
Credit card fees imposed on the CC owner seem to be punitive (looks like merchants / restaurants add anything of up to 10% fee, this is however anecdotal).
Or is it better to locally exchange Euro or US-$ into the local Peruviaon Nuevo Sol (don't think there's a point trying to get that currency here in Dublin).

Appreciate any input.

Last edited:
US $ is acceptable most places. Plenty of ATM's around as well. Most tour companies & accomodation etc will look for payment in USD, you'll only need local currency for food & incidentals.
Most stuff v reasonable over there, food is good, lots of yummy soups!

I never buy local currency before I travel (and I travel a lot). I always just take money out from the ATM once I get off the plane. There is always an ATM at the airport. Have 50-100 euro with you for emergencys. Euro is as widely accepted as US$ anyway. There is no shortage of ATM in Peru

Using Euro or dollars instead of using local currency is a guaranteed way to get ripped off.

I think Cuba is the only country I have been where there was no airport ATM, and in that case I just used my credit card to withdraw money from the bank teller.

Using Euro or dollars instead of using local currency is a guaranteed way to get ripped off.
Also be wary of places quoting prices in dollars or Euro and demanding payment in these currencies.
Pay in local currency only.

Dollars and Euros are best. There's no problem changing them, or using your credit card. Bizarrely enough traveller cheques are easy to cash in Asia but almost impossible in South America

Back