Travelling from Waterford to Dublin Airport

emily_moss

Hi

Has anyone travelled from Waterford to Dublin airport recently? I have been told it will take 4 hours - is this not a bit excessive? Maybe there are road works, does anyone know this?
It would usually take 2hr 45 to 3 hrs to get there.
Need to make alternative plans if it is going to take this long.

Any info would be greatly appreciated - as I was planning to leave at 2pm tomorrow for a flight at 7.30.

Thanks.

Leaving at 2.00 pm for a 7.30 pm flight would give you plenty of time if you're driving. It can take up to four and a half hours if you take the bus as it goes in to the City Centre. If you're driving yourself, 2 hours 45 mins would be the max. I did the journey about 2 months back and am doing again in a few weeks time.

If you left Waterford at 3.30/4pm it might take more like 4 hours as you'd be hitting the M50 at very bad traffic times ... but leaving Waterford by 2pm should have you on the M50 for 4pm ish which shouldnt be too bad.

I don't know what magic road you guys have been driving on but last time I drove from waterford to kilkenny it took 1 hour 25 minutes (left at 11.45 on a thursday morning)

sinead76 said:
I don't know what magic road you guys have been driving on but last time I drove from waterford to kilkenny it took 1 hour 25 minutes (left at 11.45 on a thursday morning)

but how??

its only 30miles away and on national roads so 100km/h too.. by right it should take about 40-50mins

sinead76 said:

Must have been terrible traffic to have taken that long ... the road isn't great for sure (you gotta love those railway bridges that you pass under with the signage "Warning oncoming traffic may be in the center of the road) ... but as RonanC says it is only 50km

RonanC said:
but how??
its only 30miles away and on national roads so 100km/h too.. by right it should take about 40-50mins

I assume you don't advocate driving though country towns at 100 kph .

Also, as for hitting the M50 at 16:00, you're going to have to endure traffic build-up from the Red Cow to the Airport. But you should get there in time.

Also also, where are you leaving the car at the airport ? Get that figured out in advance to save yourself grief on the day.