Travelling from Newark to Manhattan

LBT

Hi,

Just wondering what is the best way to get from Newark to a hotel in Manhattan.

thanks,

There is a train station at Newark airport. It will bring you to Manhattan for a couple of dollars if I remember correctly.

Agree , train is by far the best.
When you exit Customs its well signposted , take the monorail to the Train Station , only 3 minutes , buy a ticket at one of the machines and hop on the train to New York Penn Station (Madison Square Garden) , if you are not staying in that immediate area there are plenty of taxis outside the station.(take the exit out onto 7th Ave.) There is a Taxi-Dispatcher there who will have you on your way without any delay.

thanks for that I would take the train, but myself and my husband are travelling with my parents so would prefer to get either a cab or organise transport from the airport to the hotel

Im guessing that you are travelling Continental to Newark. If the train is not an option then you are probably better off getting a taxi. There is a fixed fare from Newark to Manhattan , last time I got one it was about $45(plus tip). Again , there is a taxi-dispatcher at Newark Airport - go to him and give him your destination and he will get you a car. Avoid the sharks hovering about the terminal touting as taxi-drivers , they are probably unlicenced and will overcharge you.
Another option would be one of the shuttle busses that operate from the Airport to Manhattan , but given that there are four of you the taxi option would be better as the fare on these shuttles is about $15 per person.
Newark is very well laid out and its only a short walk from baggage-claim to the taxi rank.
If you are travelling on a weekend be prepared for a long tailback at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnell.(could easily be up to an hour so take a fixed fare in the taxi)

Im guessing that you are travelling Continental to Newark. If the train is not an option then you are probably better off getting a taxi. There is a fixed fare from Newark to Manhattan , last time I got one it was about $45(plus tip). Again , there is a taxi-dispatcher at Newark Airport - go to him and give him your destination and he will get you a car. Avoid the sharks hovering about the terminal touting as taxi-drivers , they are probably unlicenced and will overcharge you.
Another option would be one of the shuttle busses that operate from the Airport to Manhattan , but given that there are four of you the taxi option would be better as the fare on these shuttles is about $15 per person.
Newark is very well laid out and its only a short walk from baggage-claim to the taxi rank.
If you are travelling on a weekend be prepared for a long tailback at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnell.(could easily be up to an hour so take a fixed fare in the taxi)

+1. Take the cab with the fixed fare. Sit back and relax.

If you're feeling really flush or are a TD, just book a chopper and you'll be there in no time.

z

p.s. seriously though - train gets you there relatively quickly. If you're looking for a little bit of comfort book business class Amtrak tickets (not the local train company - NJ Transit). Since the train only takes 20m you may not get much benefit from the business class, but still . . .

NJ Transit will get you to the same place Penn Station in Manhattan, a little slower but a lot cheaper. I don't know how people can bear sitting in a taxi for 60m instead of getting to somewhere (New York or London come to mind) in half the time and for a fraction of the cost. I can see how it works when the taxi is faster, but slower . . . and more expensive ?

Get the fixed fare yellow cab. At current exchange rates it works out at only about €30 and you and your parents will have the comfort of getting right to your hotel door. You could ask at the hotel about a shuttle for your return journey but it might not be any cheaper than the cab.

I have used these guys http://www.carmellimo.com/ for Newark to Manhattan. Book online (flat rate) and call them when you are out of the baggage hall. I've never waited more than five minutes. Also booked them on the way out to Newark and no problems that way either. Friends have used them to JFK as well.

No personal connection to the firm.

PS When you make a booking it asks for a telephone number. Turns out that this is your reference number when you call them. And finally - save the limo co's tel number in your mobile - it makes life easy after a transatlantic flight - rather than typing in from an email in the baggage hall.

I have used these guys http://www.carmellimo.com/ for Newark to Manhattan. Book online (flat rate) and call them when you are out of the baggage hall. I've never waited more than five minutes. Also booked them on the way out to Newark and no problems that way either. Friends have used them to JFK as well.

No personal connection to the firm.

PS When you make a booking it asks for a telephone number. Turns out that this is your reference number when you call them. And finally - save the limo co's tel number in your mobile - it makes life easy after a transatlantic flight - rather than typing in from an email in the baggage hall.

Hi Hansov,
Can you call using the 1800 number from your mobile when you have cleared baggage and if so what prefix is used.
TIA.

Hi Hansov,
Can you call using the 1800 number from your mobile when you have cleared baggage and if so what prefix is used.
TIA.

Sorry - that I do not know - but why not put both in your phone?
I presume (never presume:D) that just 1800..... should do. You will be on a U.S. provider at that stage. Maybe somebody else knows.....?

Sorry - that I do not know - but why not put both in your phone?
I presume (never presume:D) that just 1800..... should do. You will be on a U.S. provider at that stage. Maybe somebody else knows.....?

Yes as you say never presume:D.

While I know I'll be on a US provider nevertheless I'll be roaming, so not sure if I can dial "Toll free" US numbers.

Anybody know for sure?

You can dial them but they probably won't be free.

The only way to be sure is to check with *your provider* before you leave. Ultimately, if anyone is billing you it will be them so they will have the details.

I know when I dial 1-800 numbers from here (I work for a US company and a lot of the contact numbers are 1-800s) I get an announcement on the line that "you will be charged for this call if you do not hang up"

Your carrier may have some global agreement thing that means they carry your toll-free calls for free in other countries or they may simply decide to hit you with a charge . . . only they can tell you.

Of course, you could dial them from a payphone in which case the call will be free.

z

See below for all your options. I've done all of them and the best option (is the train) I took the train yesterday and was in midtown in 30 mins).

http://www.nysubway.com/airport/newark.html

We got a taxi at the official rank from newark the last time over in NY,threw the luggage in the back and we had a great fixed price journey to the Waldorf Astoria.

If you get the train you could be waiting half an hour and when you get to the train station in manhattan you will have to get a taxi anyway to your hotel. If you have luggage it's a total nightmare lugging it up and down platforms etc.

So for convenience it's worth the extra few dollars.

Back