Travelling for a Month

I

inarut

Just looking for peoples opinions on this one.
I'm in my late 20's and in 2 weeks time will have a month off work and I intend to travel for the duration of that period. For a few reasons, I changed my original plans and am now back to square one.
For a start, I have a budget of around 5k and have a diverse range of interests and enjoy anything from a beach to a cultural to an adventure holiday.
I have already been to countries such as France, Spain, Germany, Holland, Sweden, Poland, parts of SE Asia and Australia but not much else apart from that. I will also be travelling alone.
So I'm looking for peoples suggestions on what to do and where to go. This is probably one of the only chances I will ever get to do something like this.
Otherwise I will just book a holiday at the last minute. Just need some forward planning! Thanks

I'd love to do an Orient Express type trip for a few weeks, or Darjeeling train (as featured in The Darjeeling Limited) etc.

Intrepid travel to a bunch of trips (not affiliated), but have been planning on doing the silk road for some years - but either don't have the time or money. I think you can either book it online with them, or trailfinders *may* be able to book it for you.

Last minute (up to a month or two in advance) they have discounts. You use public transport, very socially responsible sort of stuff. Wide open as to where you go, Asia, Africa, etc... Made up of solo travellers, and small groups. Total group size appears to be 6 - 8, depending on trip, etc...

I suggest you leave the beach - you can do that any time - unless you need a weeks recovery at the end.

I'm jealous. Have a ball.
Dem

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/

Just checked, you could do something like a safari in Africa, trek across china, loads of options. But your flights may come in expensive, with long haul and short notice - I'd check with somewhere before booking the trip.

Don't forget, you're traveling at short notice - some vaccinations take longer to taken affect unless you've already got your immunisations.

For something very unusual have you considered something like the Pilgrimage to Camino de Santiago de Compostela? (Paulo Coehlo wrote about this in 'The Pilgrimage')
A friend of mine did this a few years ago, travelling alone. It was hard work, but apparently very rewarding.
I don't think doing it is necessarily a religious thing either (certainly for him it wasn't).He met a lot of fellow travellers en route too.
You'd probably find it hard spending €5000 doing it though
Nicola

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. Have to say given the fact I'm going to China for 2 weeks in August, I think I will travel in Europe for the month.
Am tempted to travel through Central and Eastern Europe along with Italy at the mo.