Travelling abroad - credit card cash advance charges?

manalishi

Hello all,
I want to know if I'll incur charges for using my cc to make cash advances when my balance is zero.

I'm travelling abroad (non-EU). I've been withdrawing cash from my cc which is front-loaded with money. This has worked fine as I've only paid the FX fee (1.75%) per withdrawal. To date everything has been fine.

My front-loaded money is now at zero. So can I make cash advances pushing my account into the red without charges. My thinking is that once I get my bill at the end of the month I have 1 month to pay it off and if i do I wont incur any nasty charges.

I've tried to read the key post (below) on this but it's not very clear.
"You will be charged a fee for withdrawing cash (unless your account is in credit, i.e. the card provider owes you money, but this is rarely likely to be the case)."

"Using the cash advance facility can be a useful way of accessing money when abroad if you pre-load your card. There are no withdrawal fees and the foreign exchange rate is generally more competitive than changing cash at a bureau de change."
Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks.

Details;
AIB Visa Standard Card
Limit 5000

It will depend on the T&C for your particular card, but generally that isn't the case.
Many providers will start charging you interest from the day the cash advance is taken, and at a higher rate than your normal purchase rate.

Probably best to contact them and ask before you get any nasty surprises.

thanks for the replies. i'll just contact the aib and ask them. They do have a habit of talking jargon though once you start querying charges :)

non eu credit card fees

its 2.75 outside of europe, not 1.75 unless you are using mastercard

Back