travel tips for India - Mumbai & Goa

shaking

I'm heading off to India at the start of Feb and doing a 10 day tour of northern india (dep and returning to delhi) we then have a week to ourselves. I'm doing a bit of research on where to go, thinking of flrying to Mumbai from Delhi spending a few nights there and getting the train then to Goa. Has anyone any experience of India, Delhi, Mumbai and Goa in particular. How many nights do you need in Delhi? Any tips or advice greatly appreciated!

Delhi will be chilly in Feb - maybe 10-15 degrees or so.
Mumbai & Goa will be around 30.
So take the necessary clothing, although you could travel light and buy cheap when over there and give what you dont want to carry to a beggar - they will get a few rupees for it.

If you are a beach person, you probably wont want to stick around in Mumbai or Delhi too long, as they are pretty busy places. If you are a city person, the nightlife in both are great. Mumbai especially - lots of Bollywood stars will be out in the clubs, but booze is not cheap in those places.

Accomodation ranges from €30 per night (this will be very basic) with no upper limit in the cities, possible cheaper if you rough it and stay in a dorm in the less touristy areas.
In Goa, you could get a basic shack for €10, again with no upper limit - you could pay hundreds in the 5* hotels, but saying that, they do have deals for say 2 / 3 nights.
Really depends on what you are after and what your budget is.

Train Mumbai > Goa is about €20 each way (12 hours), but it is only one hours flight and you could get that for the same price.

Look at Air Deccan, SpiceJet, Go Air, Kingfisher Airlines - They are some of the budget airlines. There are 5:30am flights - usually cheap and you could be having breakfast on the beach by 7:30.

A GREAT forum is www.indiamike.com - Definitely check it out and bring a good book - Lonely Planet, Rough Guide etc.

The above said, a daytime (only so that you can see) train ride is an amazing experience, something you should do if you have the time.

Great forum for Indian travel;

www.indiamike.com

I can only describe Delhi as "Shocking". Its an incredible experience, relentless, and aromatic. The less Irish you look the better the cultural experience. Have a great time.