Travel Tax reduction in the budget

Haille

I have booked flights for two people with Aer Lingus for end of April 2011. I have paid the existing travel tax of €10 by 2. As we are not travelling until April 2011 when the new travel tax comes into effect.Will we be entitled to a refund of €14 [€7 by 2] given that the tax is only applied on leaving the country. Looking for a favourable response so I can celebrate something positive about the Budget.

You would think you should be entitled to a €7 refund and hopefully they will.

If it was the other way around, they would be looking for the extra money from you.

I was in the situation where I was charged an extra €10 when this tax was originally introduced as I had booked the flight before the announcement and was not travelling until after it kicked in. I heard that a number of airlines absorbed the cost in these instances but certainly not Ryanair.

The tax is charged to the airline, not to you. Any increase - and decrease - of the charge affects only the airline. They can change ticket prices accordingly but there is no obligation as far as I can see. Of course, airlines being airlines, most will raise ticket prices the second the charge goes up. But when it goes down, most will find a very good excuse not to lower ticket prices or reimburse anyone. So, don't count on it. It would be extremely unlikely.

Hi Haille,

You will get a refund of the €14, you should have it back by December 31st.
I got this info from the AL website as I am also travelling in April so was wondering what would happen :)

I was looking at flights to UK with flybe for April yesterday, and noticed that they're still charging the €10 travel tax.

this will be changed to 3 euro travel tax and 7 euro charge for hand-luggage of any description,size or weight.

Back