Travel Insurance

F

Fatboy

My Girlfriend regularly attended well woman’s clinic in Ireland. Each time they said return in 3 months due to irregularities, no solid explanation as to what or why simply a letter. This continued for about a year. Since then we have taken a year out to travel. I never mentioned the well women scenario when applying for travel insurance as it did not seem important due to the laissez-faire approach of the clinic i.e. nothing serious wrong just precautionary approach.

We are in Oz and girlfriend needs emergency surgery to remove cyst from ovary which apparently has been there for some time. The operation is going to cost $10K.

Could this scenario be treated as pre existing condition which could affect insurance company paying for treatment?

Thanks

If there is nothing in writing then it never existed until now.

noah

If there is nothing in writing then it never existed until now.
Are you sure about that? Others have reported here falling foul of "prior/existing conditions" which were only diagnosed after taking out insurance but which could be dated back before this event.

If the original poster failed to answer a question on the application form honestly/factually (e.g. have you ever attended a medical practitioner in relation to ...) then the policy could be null and void. Uberrima fides and all that jazz...

There's a new twist. The insurance company have said ok fine we will accept that the treatment is necessary so we will fly you back to Ireland and you can sort yourself out within the public system. When asked how one gets back to Australia to continue trip, insurance company said they would not cover. I'm not really sure that’s any sort of solution at all. Whats the point of having insurance at all if they will not honour their terms and conditions of emergency cover!!. They also seem to think that because Australia has a public system and a reciprocal agreement with Ireland then one should use it. Again what’s the point in having the insurance in the first place if this is their solution?

Anyway, we will get sorted one way or another.

Thanks for replies.

as you say Australia has a reciprocal agreement with Ireland and afaik you only have to inform them when you actually need treatment and not pre register or anything. A very close friend of mine is a doctor in Aus at present and hes gushing about the standard of treatment. Don't compare public treatment in this country with another country ( unless its 3rd world )