Other travel Insurance.

Meath Lady

i am travelling to New York in mid June for a week and looking for the best travel insurance .
I have no health insurance and am health & in my early 20's.
Will it make any difference that I did not take this out when I booked my flights.
Any advice appreciated

As far as I know the only difference it will make is that you will not have insurance cover for any events that may lead to you having to cancel the flight or not take the flight. Your insurance cover will not have been in place at the time of booking the flights.

Be sure to shop around, there are comparison websites out there:

www.comparetravelinsuranceireland.com
http://www.uchoose.ie/

and I'm sure a search of this forum will also throw up a wealth of information.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks Galwegian44. I will look at these websites and compare prices. So assuming you took out insurance now and something happened between taking out insurance and travel date would flights not be covered. Is it necessary to have insurance taken out as soon as you book flights.

No. If you take out a policy now, anything that happens between now and when you fly if you had to cancel would be covered. Subject to T and C's of course.

You would need to check with the Insurance provider Meath Lady, but my understanding for the majority of policies is that you are NOT covered for flight cancellation issues if you did not have cover at the Time Of Booking, regardless of whether you subsequently purchased travel insurance, even prior to an incident where you had to make a claim.

Some more info from Frommers - http://www.frommers.com/articles/6440.html

When to Buy Travel Insurance

You should buy travel insurance right after you book your trip -- preferably on the same day. As soon as you pay for your trip, the clock starts ticking on the pre-existing condition waiver. You want a pre-existing condition waiver, as it cancels out an administrative hell that results in more than 20% of claims being denied, according to QuoteWright.com's John Cook. Some travel insurers give you 14 days after you started to book your trip to get the waiver, but some only give you 24 hours. To get the most options, think of booking travel insurance as something you do at the same time as booking your trip.

If you're a frequent traveler, travel insurance companies also offer multi-trip and annual policies that may be cheaper than buying a policy for each trip.

You won't get a pre-existing condition waiver here. That US speak. A lot doesnt apply here. If you have pre-existing conditions the policy will not cover cancellation or curtailment arising from that illness.

Excellent price and cover options with insureandgo.ie

No affiliation - just satisfied customer

When I lived in Ireland I had an annual insurance policy with getcover and, especially if you have VHI (or equivalent), not expensive. I never did have to make a claim but was happy with my dealings with them as far as renewals and basic questions went. At the time I first took out a policy with them they were offering the best or at least comparable coverage for the main items at far less cost than many of the others on offer. I had previously had Bank of Ireland (only for one year) and AA policies. It's a good idea to make use of the comparison websites.

AIB removing its free personal accident travel insurance from AIB Classic Business Cards from June 24th.

Seems like a bit of tight-waddery to me.

It surely can't be costing tham THAT much.

Allianz Insurance do a very price competitive annual multitrip Insurance policy.

Also what some people fail to realise is that a number of Household Insurance providers cover Holiday Insurance.

Read the small print -- you might get a pleasant surprise.

Mercman - are you saying that travel insurance is provided under household policy?

Good Morning.I intend travelling to Spain for one month on 19th of August.I have checked with a few travel insurance companies but they will not quote me saying that at the moment they are quoteing for essential travel only until cov restrictions are eased.I would like to book the flights as i am getting good deals on them but i am a little hesitant because of the travel insurance situation.I have Laya private health insurance and EHIC card.Anyone have any knowledge or comments re. this situation.Thanks.

Is there a definition for essential travel? You and I may have one, but will the insurance company give you one?

Thus is what LAYA website says

I wouldn't risk going without insurance in place, the risk of serious complications associated with catching Covid is too real. Since publication of green list, some travel insurance companies are now offering cover for travel to those countries unfortunately Spain is not on that list yet.

This is the Laya information on travel , I don't think it's the same one that you have.

Back