Travel insurance while relative ill?

Lighthouse

My uncle has had prostate cancer for the past few years. It has become active since Christmas. He has undergone chemo but had a bad reaction so it has been suspended. He is not having active treatment at present and may not have again. At Christmas the doctors were talking about maybe a 12 month time span before it became terminal. My husband and I want to book a holiday abroad this summer. However, VHI will not cover us for cancellation in the event of my uncle becoming very ill before we go or for travelling back if he becomes ill while we are there. Does any know of other companies which offer such cover. I am sure we are not the only people who are in this situation.

Thanks for that but that doesn't really answer my query. My uncle will not be travelling with us so we are not looking for any kind of cover for him. It's really for us to travel back if needed or to cover cancellation if it comes to that. I might contact a few brokers and see if there is anything. Maybe there isn't and we just have to take the risk.

to be honest I will be very surprised if you find a policy (or at least an affordable one) that will meet your needs, my advice would be book a cheap holiday, go somewhere you can get home from easily and cheaply, or wait.

P.S. my condolences, and I will ask in work on tuesday if anyone knows anywhere, but again, I doubt you will have much luck.

Thanks noname. I'd appreciate that. Was with him this evening and he asked me if we were going on holidays. Said yes, probably July and he said to make sure to send him a card. Bloody awful dilemma!