Travel Insurance - volcanic ash

ruthkell

Hi, We have booked hols - flights seperate and villa for 11 days in Spain. Is there any insurance that would cover our accomodation costs if say the volcano kicked off again and we did'nt make it on our hols? We will have the villa paid for about a month before we go, so anything could happen after that with volcano.

yes there is now insurance that would cover you .

Travel agents, amongst others, sell it, though usually as an "add-on" to normal holiday insurance. For example it's about 12 euros a head on top of the normal two weeks holiday insurance or about 20-30 euros on top of the normal annual insurance.

I'd be surprised if your normal travel insurance provider does not now offer this.

(Perhaps stupidly I too am off to a Spnish villa in a couple of weeks and havent bothered to pay the excess for this. Winds are blowing 90% of the time from the south during the Summer and so ,even with an eruption, an ash cloud over Ireland and Europe generally should not be a problem till nearer Winter. Famous last words?)

Hopefully u'll be fine. Looking good so far. We not going until September, so might get the cover just in case!! Was pricing insurancebookers.ie and ace insurance and did'nt see anything to cover volcanic ash... Will have another look, would'nt mind paying a bit extra as villa cost will be paid by then (€1300). Thanks!

Just received a reply from my travel insurance claim with bank of ireland {travel insurance division} after having to stay over an extra night in lanzarote in may , after our flight was cancelled due to ash cloud, extra cost included hotel for one night , meals x2 and lunch the following day plus associated taxi , all in about 150 euro ,{ not too bad } their reply was we were not covered for costs and expenses despite having there: Gold standard cover: Only cover was 15 euro per 12 hours period of delay per person total 60 euro ............ just as well we got back the following day .

Just received a reply from my travel insurance claim with bank of ireland {travel insurance division} after having to stay over an extra night in lanzarote in may , after our flight was cancelled due to ash cloud, extra cost included hotel for one night , meals x2 and lunch the following day plus associated taxi , all in about 150 euro ,{ not too bad } their reply was we were not covered for costs and expenses despite having there: Gold standard multi trip cover: only cover was 15 euro per 12 hours period of delay per person , total 60 euro ............... just as well we got back the following day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

Just received a reply from my travel insurance claim with bank of ireland {travel insurance division} after having to stay over an extra night in lanzarote in may , after our flight was cancelled due to ash cloud, extra cost included hotel for one night , meals x2 and lunch the following day plus associated taxi , all in about 150 euro ,{ not too bad } their reply was we were not covered for costs and expenses despite having there: Gold standard cover: Only cover was 15 euro per 12 hours period of per person

Last edited by a moderator:
I think (not an expert) your insurance would need to be in place, either in advance or at the time of booking. You may be too late

Volcanic Ash

Got sorted with multitrip.com. Covered for ash and only cost extra 30euro. Happy Days!!!!

Back