Travel Insurance query

jph

Due to fog, my flight from Birmingham to Dublin on Ryanair was cancelled. Options were to take the next available Ryanair flight - which was two days later - or take a refund from Ryanair for the return journey and make own arrangements. I took the latter and booked with Aer Lingus for the next day but this meant an overnight in a local hotel.

Do you know if the cost of the hotel can be claimed back from travel insurance?

thanks for your help

did you contact the insurance company and tell them what options you were given?

tbh, it is probably in the T&C's that you will not be covered, but it costs nothing to put in a claim.

Based on personal experience, I found having travel insurance was useless when a situation arose and we made a claim. The policy is SO full of Ts&Cs that they have practically eliminated most situations.
As a result, I didn't even buy insurance for my last trip abroad.
However, I hope yours is an exception, you prove me wrong and you have a good response from your insurance company. Best of luck.

while I can't really disagree with that ash, I still feel that Travel Insurance is important if you travel outside of the EU, the cost of medical care in the US for is very high, when travelling within the EU your European Health Insurance Card will look after your med care...

http://www.ehic.ie/

Based on my personal experience, it is worth it...
Few year back, coming back from holidays, our flight (landing in London) had been delayed so we missed our connection flight (last flight of the day) back to Dublin.
Had to stay in hotel in London and buy new tickets London-Dublin.
All covered by insurance.

So, I guess it really depends on your insurance T&Cs.

Good point Noname. I would agree about getting insurance for outside the EU. My last trip was just to UK.

Bacchus, it is funny but the circumstances you described were similar to those in my own experience when the travel insurance people did not accept the claim. Maybe a significant difference is that the delayed flight in our case, which meant we missed a return flight to Ireland, was in the US. Fair enough we were put on the next flight but it was 24 hours later so we had to arrange hotel, transport, meals, phone calls, etc. It seems that area is covered by the Montreal Convention.
I'm glad all worked out well for you though.