Travel Insurance necessary for IOM/UK ?

Silvera

I am heading over to the Isle of Man for 5 days next week and was wondering whether I should take out travel insurance ?

Part of me thinks it not necesary, and part of me says 'you never know' ?!

I have seen a 1-year ARB policy (worldwide, plus weekends in Ireland covered) available via my Credt Union for c.€75.

Is this good value ?

Why should you bother? Your EHIC card will get you free emergency cover anywhere in the UK (which I presume includes the IOM). Even without it, I understand that Irish people can access free A&E services in the UK.

That ARB policy is good value. If you're a member of a Trade Union you might be eligible for a discount on the premium (10%-ish). I know there are lots of other similarly-priced annual multi-trip policies, but they usually have much higher excesses and lower benefits in the event of a claim.

The EHIC is valid anywhere in the EU, but it doesn't cover missed flights/cancellations/lost or stolen luggage, etc. That said, if you reckon you won't need that cover, then there's certainly no reason to buy insurance!

Based on the recent necessity to make a claim on travel insurance for a missed departure, a claim which was denied, and keeing in mind the points already mentioned here, I question whether travel insurance is worth the money it costs.
My advice would be to read each policy in full before you purchase. (But who, in reality, does?) It is a safe bet it is full of get out clauses for the insurance company.
Enjoy your holiday anyway.

The travel insurance policy would also cover costs for emergency air ambulance evacuation in the unlikely event that this was necessary.

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

I usually err on the side of caution .....I too had in mind the 'lost luggage, missed flights, air ambulance' scenarios!
My Credit Union can expect a call from me next week !

Having said that, I had a bad experience with a travel insurance company last year.

Basically I took out a 2-year policy for my trip to Australia/New Zealand/Cook Islands/U.S.,and while to literature offered a "refund if you return home early", the company refused to pay up when I returned home after 11 months.

Five letters to them failed to get my refund.
It was only after I contacted the UK Ombudsman that they finally paid up!

......makes me wonder if they would have paid in the event of a claim ?!!

Thanks again

Silvera.