Travel Insurance is there a big difference

hoopman

Hi myself and the family are in process of looking at booking summer holidays. We have been looking at various travel agents on line (mainly budget travel) and the typical holiday insurance for a family of 5 comes in at approx €150 for one trip/holiday.

I looked throught the key posts on travel insurance here and looked at the Insure.ie 'award winning' multi-trip annual policy and they quote only €79.50 for multi trip.

Now I'v read through the terms and conditions, but I am finding it difficult to see if this type of policy is adequte or more to the point if it is as good as the type of insurance that the travel agents provide with their package holidays.

If there is anyone out their who has a good handle on these things, would they mind giving me their opinion on it.

i was not to sure if this thread should be in the Inusance or Holiday forum, If its in the wrong forum, Sorry about that

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Travel insurance bundled together when you're being sold a holiday typically isn't great value.

The most obvious things to compare are the levels of cover, the excess (€ of any claim you have to pay yourself) and any exclusions

I haven't looked got details of the Budget policy but €150 for a single trip (probably within the EU?) seems very high indeed ... When I go to budgettravel.ie it quotes me €115 for an annual multi trip policy.

The insure.ie policy looks pretty comprehensive. ... only thing is the excess is reasonably high €75/€100(medical) ... Also the coverage is maybe a bit stingy on duration and trip length compared to other annual policies -it covers you for 90 days of the whole year for any number of trips (up to 1 month long)

Even if you typically only tend to go on one holiday a year you could still get two holidays worth of cover out of it provided in the second year you took your holiday at least two weeks earlier

It used to be the case some years ago that package holiday providers could force you to take out "their" insurance (which is really nothing to do with them anyway just a branded product from some big insurance group) .. but this is no longer the case as far as I'm aware. I believe they can insist that you have insurance and request evidence of it (travel insurance is sensible of course), but they cannot insist that you have their insurance.