Travel insurance if I "miss" flights

Colby

Hi
I have flights booked with Ryanair for the family but now cant take the trip, just had a look and it will be €50 per person (X 5) to change the date or make any alteration, just wondering if I dont show up for the flight at all would travel insurance cover the original cost under the "missed flight" bit, I know there is a €50 excess but this would work out better if covered
Tks

Let's see if I get this right: for some reason the dates you booked don't suit you. You want to make the insurance company compensate you for that. So you are thinking of pretending you missed the flight that you are not planning to take.

That is fraudulent.

No didnt mean it the way it reads now......apologies just want to know what does travel insurance cancellation cover, is it purely medical reasons or if I submit a letter from my Company saying I cant have the time off so cant travel as I have been scheduled to do a course (which is true) is it covered I meant "miss" as in not cancel in advance with Ryanair not claim I was late or similar.
I was asking the question as I had read the docs but could see all the medical bits but then additional section re cancellation and was not sure what events would be covered under this section.
Apologies I do not and never have condoned insurance fraud!

No-one here can tell you what is in your own contract. What exactly does your own contract say about cancellation? Did you have the policy in place before you made the booking?

Hi
I have flights booked with Ryanair for the family but now cant take the trip, just had a look and it will be €50 per person (X 5) to change the date or make any alteration, just wondering if I dont show up for the flight at all would travel insurance cover the original cost under the "missed flight" bit, I know there is a €50 excess but this would work out better if covered
Tks

VHIs Multi-Trip Travel Insurance will give you €500 towards booking alternative tickets in the event of you missing your flight.

I think you have to pay for the tickets and then claim, and time limits apply (you have to book another flight within 24 hours)

I don't think you'll find a policy that refunds you the price of your ticket.

VHIs Multi-Trip Travel Insurance will give you €500 towards booking alternative tickets in the event of you missing your flight.

No so....there are T&C's - we missed a flight as a motorway was closed, rebooked flights (€900....saying T.G. we have insurance) but VHI didn't want to know. They said the missed flight would only apply if we had been on public transport or an accident had made us late. As it was a very bad accident which closed the motorway, we thanked out lucky stars that it wasn't an accident of our own which made us miss the flight.

ya best thing is to read the t&c's normally its only covered if its beyond your control and on the way to the airport!!
if you know you have to cancel prior to that date then its normally for sickness, death in the family etc

No so....there are T&C's - we missed a flight as a motorway was closed, rebooked flights (€900....saying T.G. we have insurance) but VHI didn't want to know. They said the missed flight would only apply if we had been on public transport or an accident had made us late. As it was a very bad accident which closed the motorway, we thanked out lucky stars that it wasn't an accident of our own which made us miss the flight.

Yes, you're right.

The policy also covers flight cancellations, which is handy for travelling with Ryanair, who won't provide you with an alternative flight if the reason for the cancellation is beyond their control (eg weather).

Back