Travel Insurance Entitlement - Lost and delayed luggage

idonno-1

My holiday started badly when our luggage was delayed for 17 hours. Then on way home, realised I left my phone in the hotel. Then my 5 yr old son had a carry on suitcase with all his belongings in it and it was left at the cafe beside the check in desk. But when we realised we hadn't got it we tried to go back and get it and were not allowed past the check in desk and had to leave it. Then the final straw, on arrival home our luggage has been delayed again and we have not yet received it, it is due tonight.

We have ace travel insurance and are wondering what rights if any to claim would we have? What would we need to do to ensure we are entitled to claim- do we need to report it and is it the irish police we need to report to? Do we have to have receipts for the items bought due to our luggage delay? I read on the policy wording you only get a claim for lost luggage if it was accompanied by us, does that mean we can't get anything for my son's luggage as we left it behind - this seems very unfair - is there a way around this- his stuff was worth a lot of money and will cost me a lot to replace.