Travel insurance claim

pc7

Not sure whether to stick this here or under insurance so apologies if its incorrect. Due to fly to portugal sunday, boyfriends back is in a jocker, going for more physio today and doc for stronger painkillers. As he is today there is no way we can go. I rang the travel insurance company (have yearly policy with insure.ie). She asked had his back ever been hurt before, I said yes hasn't everyone at some stage. She said no, that if he's had any treatment in the last 3 years its considered pre-existing so we won't get any money back (holiday cost 1500) if we don't go. Majoy bummer 1) if we can't go 2) if we lose the money.
Does anyone know if we contact the holiday provider (panorama holidays) would they offer any sort of refund or move of date etc? I know I could read T&C but read 46 pages of insure.ie policy and just so down about it can't face it. Just wondering if any AAM posters might know or of some back miracle cure so we can go! I'm trying the sun will help tactic at the mo

There's a difference though between having hurt something and receiving treatment for it, I would have thought?

My back often hurts if I overdo the gardening, but it's muscular and a bit of rest sorts it out. Its not something I would declare as a pre-existing condition on an insurance proposal as it's not a chronic or acute condition requiring medical intervention.

So has he had treatment for his back in the last three years?

Does anyone know if we contact the holiday provider (panorama holidays) would they offer any sort of refund or move of date etc?
Probably not - at such short notice the full price is usually forfeited. Perhaps you can change one of the tickets for somebody else to go instead of your BF?

If you cannot go then just ask for an insurance claim form and submit an (honest) claim and see what happens.

this is not an ongoing condition.
Stick to your guns - In my experience (broker) you have a perfectly legitimate claim
If all else fails threaten and go to the ombudsman

well he has hurt his back before and had physio so it is pre-existing would doubt anything could be done insurance wise, was just hoping that maybe holiday company might offer some alternative. He's out of physio now she thinks the muscles have loosend a bit he's to go to the doc at 4 for muscle relaxants so here's hoping!

PC 7 : Promise him some nice massage for the duration of the holiday...Hope you get to go....doesn't sound like you would get satisfaction out of the holiday company..

yeah just trying to stay positive booked it as a bday pressie for him and some of our friends fly out in the morning (he doesn't know this) so it would be such a downer if we can't go

You are most likely dependent on the goodwill of the travel agent to offer you some alternative arrangements or a refund. Your booking agreement will most likely clarify that a cancellation at this late stage forfeits the full price. I doubt that many agents would waive this condition especially two days before you are due to travel. Have you contacted them yet and asked?

Update - her are some relevant sections of the Panorama [broken link removed]:

no clubman haven't contacted them, I'm in denial mode (not the river in egypt) hoping that it won't come to it. I've looked up their contact details and they open in the morning at 10, so going to hold until then and see if there is any improvement.

You might be better of asking them now just in case one day makes a difference and helps them to facilitate you if you need to cancel or change the booking.

I suppose so, I'll try them now, a friend suggested i ask them to keep our hotel room free if we have to cancel as we could fly out tuesday as a few extra days may make a difference.

hi, last year my father died 2 days before i was due to do on holidays, obviously i had to cancel and when i put in a claim they denied it as he had been in and out of hospital for 12 months, (he was ill but not critical). his own gp wrote to them giving the opinion that his death was sudden but they still denied it. to cut a very long and drawn out story short, i got on the phone and gave the person who made the decision a piece of my mind, and said i was going to the ombudsman, claiming i was only insured until something went wrong. they paid me eventually but i had to push the buttons. i hope you don't drop it as insurance is there for a reason and you have a genuine reason.

Did you have to take the complaint to the FSO or did it get resolved through the insurance company (broker or underwriter?)?

i resolved it with a manager at the insurance company. they refused it twice and when i mentioned ombudsman i had a cheque a week later, i must have had a case all along.

Problem is that if you book a holiday and you have/had a pre-existing condition, you would not be covered if you cancel/curtail your trip due to a similar problem or even if something happens to you abroad which is caused directly or indirectly by the problem. Now it is a bit of a grey area, the definition of a re-existing condition but in your case, if he did have treatment in the recent past, you will probably not have much of a leg to stand on, I am afraid.

No sign of PC7 this week. Looks like she's gone on the holiday after all!

Basically its up to your doctor and what he puts on the form.
Get the form sent out to you, and read what they require the doctor to certify. Have a chat with the doctor to see if you can find a way around it.

hi all thanks for the advice on this one, the travel agent said they would have tried to accommodate us if the notice hadn't been so short. Luckily with the physio (got him mobile enough to travel) codine and valium !! helped with the pain so we got to go! he was a bit sore for a day or two but it loosened up and the hotel had a spa which helped. Big wake up call re insurance cover, I'm going to email them and see if I notify them of this condition can i pay a premium incase it happens again. Thanks again

Delighted to hear that you managed to go in the end! Was assuming since we didn't hear from you last week that you did!